Look what I found ... A.H. Fox Side by Side

aspeck

Staff member
Actually, it found me ... sort of ... A good friend passed away a few years ago and I have kept in close contact with his widow. Last week she shows up at my office with a shotgun and hands it to me and asks, "What is this worth? I am trying to figure out what to do with it?" Hmmm, good question. My mind was whirling. I had no clue, but it sure was a pretty gun!

So, I began an investigation. What I have learned so far is there is a very active Fox Collectors group. And this gun has some interesting aspects to it. First, it seems to be a "B" grade stock with "C" grade barrels. However, the serial numbers and identification stamping match, so that is the way it left the factory. Also, it appears to be refinished because some of the "accessories" (screws, breech lever, trigger guard) are blued instead of nickel, and of course, the ugly butt plate has been added/changed from original (probably a 70's era change there).

This shotgun is extremely tight and in great shape. It appears to be manufactured in Philadelphia by the A.H. Fox company around 1913 or early 1914 (just before Fox left the company to become a professional shooter for Winchester, I believe). Values are all over the place for this piece, and I am waiting to get my "History Card" back from Savage Arms (which bought out Fox in the late 1930's) to see exactly how it was ordered/delivered. It seems to be a special order gun, so if it was ordered with the blued screws and the C barrel on the B frame, my friend has herself a real winner! It is currently in my safe until I can determine it's actual value. If any of you "gun experts" have any clue as to the worth of said gun, please let me know (it is not my gun and it is not for sale, I am just trying to determine the value for a friend at this time). Thanks.

64osby

Admiral
That is a beautiful gun. Good luck on the info search.

What gauge is it?

Tnstratofam

Commander
That is beautiful. I would love to have a nice old side by side with engraving like that. Nice find.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Got the "card" today ... it was manufactured in April 1914 for a Mr Miller as a rush order for a b grade gun with C grade engraving and 28" barrels. Full choke both barrels and a weight of 6lb 12 oz (request was for under 7 lb).

Pusher

Lieutenant
Gorgeous side by side! Her husband knew his stuff.

Sounds like the original owner was ahead of his time. The kimber two tone pistols cost more than the one tone ones.... Why? I don't know, but it's a thing.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Look up the guy that does guns for Rick Harrison on Pawn Stars and email him with some good images, often times if it is a special piece he will email you back and help you track down a value on a gun.

dquitresin

Recruit
That is a beautiful gun. I wonder what Rick Harrison of PawnStars has to say especially with the price. lol