Long Trip Home - Florida to Georgian Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone.

We made the plunge and acquired a 34' Catamaran in Fort Myers Florida and now starts the trip home to Georgian Bay Canada.

I've traveled this route with my parents in the past however will be the first time for my wife and I so any additional tips/tricks or even must-see locations would be greatly welcome.

There are a few things I need to sort out and advice is appreciated. We are of course aware of travel restrictions and timing and we are handling that well so far.

We plan to do the trip over 3 years. Year 1-get up to the Hudson river. Trip 2-lake ontario. Trip 3-trent system to Georgian Bay.

Things I need to research or could use a hand on:

Boat registration - can I register in Canada now even though the boat will be in USA over the next ~2 years. Any tips?

Boat insurance - can I use my Canadian insurance company to insure the boat while in USA or do I need a USA company? Any tips on cheap insurance?

Wifi access - I need to work while travelling and roaming on my cell is not ideal. (company phone) so I need a wifi solution. I.e. Rogers rocket stick??

Temp storage: I need to leave the boat once my vacation time is spent and return the next year. Is there a good resource to find cheap storage as I go along? I won't know where until a few days prior as how far we get during each leg is hard to say.

Other than that, I am doing well (route planning etc.) but I welcome any additional advice as well.

Sincere thanks
Chris

matt167

Captain
You could register the boat internationally I think, and then your canadian insurance would hold out.

As far as Wifi. I use a Visible wireless phone as it's unlimited hotspot for $40 per month. I'm in a very rural location so I actually use it for my home internet and have a dedicated line. I share it across a large network with a WISP router, although a Wifi extender will do the same thing if you just need wifi

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Wifi access - I need to work while travelling and roaming on my cell is not ideal. (company phone) so I need a wifi solution. I.e. Rogers rocket stick??
Don’t need anything fancy, just the right cell carrier.
I travel both domestic and International for work. Carried an AT&T “Air Card” for years.
Traded that in for an IPhone and Verizon cell service 10 years ago.
Has never let me down anywhere in the world. Just pair the phone with your laptop.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use Verizon, monthly card is 40 bucks. Never let me down anywhere, and can make it a Hotspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.