Long time lurker need help with decision

not racing

Cadet
$(KGrHqN,!q8E+0VpNY5GBQMY)HD5c!~~60_12.jpg$(KGrHqV,!hUE8nzM-TzGBQMYwhT3,Q~~60_12.jpg$T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GJMBQMYwfBSf!~~60_14.jpg$(KGrHqFHJEgE+eD!3HrkBQMYwzPOEg~~60_12.jpgHi guys long story short been boatless for 3 looooong years. I no longer can handle a big boat and after a ton of research it looks like a Starcraft fits my needs. I have found what appears to be a really nice original 1983 SS 150. I have not looked at the boat yet as it is a few hours away and I know I will drag it home if I go look. My questions are is it possible the floors and transom are still good. I have offered $1750 but want to look at it not a steal but seems to be a great price if it is in the shape he claims. I will post a few pics any advice would be helpful. I have owned 3 fiberglass boats 2 old ones and a new one. I miss the new one. I mostly muskie fish but also enjoy just being on the water so I need a little more than a straight fishing boat. I have been fishing out of a friends Lund and its really nice but dont have the budget for one now. Thanks Brian

VanderLaan

Seaman
Re: Long time lurker need help with decision

***...is it possible the floors and transom are still good?***

It is possible. Several people here are fond of the phrase, "If the floors are bad, you will have to replace the transom". As a general rule, I would agree. However, I got lucky. I just bought a 78 Holiday with buckled floors, with the understanding that I would be replacing the floors and the transom anyway. Much to my surprise, when I pulled the splashwell and the transom cap, the wood looks like it could be used to build a piano.

While you can poke around and feel for soft spots on the floor, much of the transom is covered by the splashwell, so there is no way that you would be able to determine the exact condition of the transom without popping of some aluminum. Since most sellers would object to you dismantling their boat or drilling holes in the transom, the best you can do is stick your head under the splashwell with a flashlight and take a look at the transom. You could also try pulling on the transom or hanging your bodyweight off of it and see if it gives excessively or flexes in an odd spot. I am sure others will weigh in with some tips or advice on how they go about judging the soundness of a transom.

All that aside, that is a nice looking boat. Price seems fair and it looks pretty clean. Not sure I would like muskie slime on the carpet. ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Lot of Starcraft lovers on here. From the looks of the pics I see no reason why the floor couldn't be solid ... boat seems to be clean and in decent shape for its age from the pics. Only one way to truly find out, make the trip! Can you do a sea trial while there to make sure the motor is working properly and to give you a little more time to check everything out?

emoney

Commander

Just because there's tons of older boats with rot doesn't mean there aren't also tons of older boats WITHOUT rot. Just make sure you sea trial it, AND, if you go into the deal assuming you need to do some serious work to it, and you're still ok with that, then hook the thing to your truck and bring it home. That's what winter's for up there anyway. Good luck and keep us posted!

not racing

Cadet

Thanks guys. I have done stringers floors and transom on a fg boat and really have no desire to do that again. From the stuff I have read here the tinnies dont look to be nearly as bad. I will have to just go look. emoney no truck these days Volvo wagon which is rated for 3300 lbs and I am sure the 15 and 16 foot SS's are well below that. Should be well less then 2000 lbs from my calculations. Winter for muskie guys is when the water is solid. Last year we were out at least a couple times dec jan feb and missed part of the local muskie show in feb to go fishing.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

You can tow that rig all day with your wagon I am sure.
The fact that she is shown with a nice (factory?) cover and pics wise she looks great.
If it all checks out, thats not really bad at all for a water ready Starcraft!

aspeck

Staff member

But the question is, Kev, can it fly?:eek::p:D Sorry Kev, I just couldn't resist!

barato2

Commander

whether it's been kept covered makes all the difference. when i got my Starchief in ABQ, the cover had shredded and the part where floor rot began was where the pile of leaves built up and kept things wet between rains. and altho i'm one of the folks VanderLaan is talking about who spout the idea that you should assume you'll need to do trans if floors are bad, this boat had a perfect transom despite the floor rot.

as he says, the only real way is to look at corners of transom at top and bottom....you can see the bottom from under the splashwell and unobtrusively poke with sharp object like penknife if you see an iffy area.....the seller won't want to crawl under there with you! then if you buy boat and there's any Q, drill the 2 rivets that hold each corner cap on and look under there.

overall i like the boat altho seems to me like that is top $ for one in the Old Midwest tin Graveyard and in the fall to boot. welcome to the horde. we love fish pix.

JohnWI

Seaman

Pull the trigger. I paid that for mine and I will be replacing the transom. Mine seems solid BUT when I put a trolling motor on, I realized that it "squished" when I screwed it down, but only on the upper couple of inches and off center. Bummer! But I don't see any real flexing. So it isn't great.

The real downer is if the boat's floatation is water logged as it's sprayed in.

FWIW, my Dad gave me the thumbs down on my boat as it's truly "used." His 1970 is mint and all original; floors, transom, all of it. Rare, but it could be found if extremely lucky.

not racing

Cadet

Well I have my own Starcraft but not the first one I was interested in. Thanks to this forum and the replies to my post I kept looking. I found a 1982 HL180 with a Johnson 88 SPL. Solid newer floor new carpet. Not a steal but at $1100 I am happy. Water ready but dirty used hard but cared for. Has 3 rivets that did leak and were patched with JB weld. Appears to be a good boat to use for a couple years then rebuild to make it pretty. Thanks all I am sure I will have questions. 5Nf5G75E23Fd3J73Nec9d24132a1726ba1322.jpg5L65Na5M33K73m53Hac9d4bca3821e968195f.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Congrats finding a Holiday. NR. No rotted stringers in that baby. You might want to think about using some closed-end rivets to fix the three leakers. $1100 isn't a bad price by any means. Have you got on the water? Have a lot of fun with her. :D

not racing

Cadet

Hopefully get her out this weekend and will probably wait on any repairs until it has seen a few hours on the water.

JohnWI

Seaman

Congrats. The 18 footer will be nicer in bigger water than your first choice. I do love my open bow 16' SS, but it's rough when breezy on the larger lakes.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats, nice looking Holiday......

Snap some pix when you drop her in the water, some of us didn't know you could actually buy reasonably priced, good & water ready boats that don't need to be gutted & rebuilt before you use them :facepalm: Ok, I knew it, I just wasn't listening to that voice in the Admiral's head.

Anyway,

Congrats again, it's a nice looking rig.

not racing

Cadet

The 18 foot will work much better than the 15 foot but it wont fit in the garage. I like the open bow as well for casting but troll most of the time anyways. I will feel much better about taking the dogs with us in the closed bow.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

She is a solid looking rig man, congrats!:D