LONG TERM STORAGE

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone, I have an 82 Johnson 140HP crossflow on a 30' sun tracker party hut with the swim platform. Runs pretty good. The lake where I boat is being lowered for dam replacement and I am exploring a few options.
A. Try to use the lake anyway at winter fill.
B. Put boat in long term storage until after dam is repaired and lake raised, (Could take five years)
C. Sell the boat... Don't really want to do this

This rig is huge and kind of a pain to launch/retrieve each weekend, plus my old truck doesn't like to pull her anymore.

My question is..What do I need to do beyond a regular winterization for a motor sitting possibly several years... I poked around and searched but did not find exactly what I wane looking for. Thanks

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Option D.
Upgrade truck and practice launching. I know I get better at it as I go along.
You have other water in your area that could be just what the Dr. ordered.

For me, I have to live in the present. 5 years is too far to plan a boat ride but to each his own.
Best o luck. I am sure this is weighing on you. Bottom line - do what makes you happy.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Pro- The lake is 20 minutes from my house. Has a nice slip in a great location. Perfection. The nearest water body is over an hour away. Going to cost me $40-50 each time out just in truck gas. I have to consider that this boat is too big to store at home so now I'm paying $30/mth for outdoor storage. I have a long term free storage over an hour away. I just got this tub running and looking great. I'd hate to sell it to someone else to enjoy after I have done all the work. Thanks for the input.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Some additional things which may not be part of normal winterization: After fogging the engine, drain the carbs. Drain the fuel tank completely. Remove the battery and place in storage.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks. I knew on a bike the proper long term fix was to run the bowls empty, drain the tank, etc. a good fogging of the motor too.. Thanks a bunch.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so you have a slip on the water now? Will iit be functional at 'winter fill'?

What lake?

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Buckeye lake outside Columbus Ohio. Army corp found dam to be in imminent danger of collapse and governor ordered it to remain at winter fill some 3-4 feet below normal. It is literally a four foot step down into the slip at this point. I can use the state park ramp to get it in, but if we have a dry summer there is no guarantee I will be able to get it out. My boat drafts approx 18 inches from specs. I considered putting it in and traveling over to the the Slip to see just how ridiculous it might be and decide if I want to do this for projected four to five years. The marina is obviously hurting so I don't think they are going to be keen on cutting me any kind of deal considering the conditions. Not really sure what to do. I love my spot, don't want to lose it, but I'm not paying 850 a year to not use it. I did find a place where I can long term store it free. Might shrink wrap it and wait it out? I've been around this a issue several times and changed my mind just as many times. Just looking for some input from experienced boaters. I kind of fell into this boat. If I sell it there is not much chance of diggin up that kind of money again to buy another one. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited: