Long shaft on short transom

flash1977

Cadet
I have a fiberglass v-hull that the transom measure 18" in the center and 16" on the outsides. I just bought a 79 model Evinrude 35 and want to know how to make this work....I bought the boat 2 months ago with a 25 short shaft on it. The 25 short shaft runs great but I want to put it on another boat that I have here and put the 35 long shaft on my boat.

The research that I have done hasn't been clear....Should I build the transom up and how would I do this? or, should I put a jackplate on the transom? I understand that the latter puts a whole lot of stress on the transom and I don't want to take any chances on tearing the back of my boat off going up or down the river, and I don't want to sink the boat with the tidal wave that would come from the long shaft.

I really don't want to get rid of this 35 because it is a beast. It wouldn't even crank when I picked it up yesterday but with a little TLC it is running like a champ.

Thanks for the help in advance....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Long shaft on short transom

35hp i would use a homemade jack plate. i have had several fabricated. 3/16 aluminum, this does not put added stress on the transom.

homemadejackplate001.jpg

MVC-322S.jpg

MVC-321S.jpg

MVC-319S.jpg

MVC-318S.jpg

flash1977

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I will try this out. The only info I found after a few hours of research was not looking good. I have the aluminum here though and will make this my project for this coming week. :)

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I may be able to help!! PM Me if intersted.....

215336500_o.jpg