Logs

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone else keep a log of their boat/boating? I know the guys with big cruisers and sportfishers do but how about guys with smaller boats?<br /><br />I've kept a log of everything related to our boat since the day we ordered it. Some of my friends think I'm AR about it. LF just likes to keep checking on the who caught what totals. I'm gaining on her in the Texas Big 3 catagories but she's way ahead in trash fish.

tylerin

Commander
Re: Logs

I believe my daughter Erin (Tyler is my son) was conceived on my last boat, thats all I know :confused: and I was told that

NYMINUTE

Captain

I keep a year by year log. Where I boated, GPS recorded miles, max speed. fuel and fuel costs Running time from GPS. I also log events both good and bad. I did a Cost Of Boating spread sheet this year including costs for insurance, fuel, tow fuel, launch, etc. Divided by the # of events. The figure proved I must love this stuff to spend that much per trip.

KennyKenCan

Commander

A log?<br /><br />Why would I want a log rolling around in my boat?<br /><br />I have enough crap flying all over the place as it is!<br /><br />Last thing I need is a log rolling around in my boat!<br /><br />You would think that, that log would hurt if it was to roll over your toes!<br /><br />A log in my boat!? Huh?

sangerwaker

Commander

I would be very afraid to see the numbers for myself, too, NYM. Considering my rig drinks gas like crazy when skiing and the cost of the barefoot equipment and all of the other misc. expenses, it is amazing how fast everything adds up.<br /><br />I don't keep a log either. I guess I've never thought of it actually.

tylerin

Commander

Mr. L/F how many cold beverages have been "logged" on your boat :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I have kept a detailed log of every fishing trip I've taken for the last 10yrs or so.. <br /><br />good to reflect on and good to referance back to also.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> I'm gaining on her in the Texas Big 3 catagories but she's way ahead in trash fish.
Hmmmm.............me thinks Mr. LF is transposing catch numbers again. :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I caught a log a few weeks ago, off the bottom in 22 feet of water on a 4" storm wildeye.<br /><br />But if it helps, in my professional opinion, keeping a boating log is not AR.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mr. L/F how many cold beverages have been "logged" on your boat
Too many to keep track of, besides that is an understood constant...sort of like not having to log that the steering wheel was on the boat.

KaGee

Admiral

Ummmmm, I have never hit any logs while boating.. so I never needed a Log book..... :p

ehenry

Commander

Hey Tylerin, why ya think Mr and Ms Ladyfish's last name is fish????? They drink cold beverages like Fish. :D :D :D

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always keep a log... great to look back on the past, and to sometimes plan the future based on past entries that I would have otherwise forgotten. Forgetting happens a lot more often than it used to. Keeping the log up to date during a cruise is a safety issue (location, bearing, speed), especially if I get knocked out somehow and some of my usual crew have to take over.<br /><br />Never, NEVER calculate $/trip... a very bad bit of information that will never seem reasonable..

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Snapperbait, nice strat in your avatar. Best piece of engineering I can think of besides the mackinaw bridge.