location of bypass valve 89 dt55

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me the location of the bypass valve on the 1989 DT 55?
Thanks

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: location of bypass valve 89 dt55

more details please?
what kind of bypass valve? oil, gas, water?

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I should have been more specific. it seems there may be a blockage in the water passage. I have replaced the thermostat and impeller last year and now I am ready to look further. It was suggested that the bypass valve may not be operating or plugged. i am just not sure where it might be. Sounded internal. i presumed it would be in the water cover? Head area?

The telltale flows fine but the head gets warm. if I remove the water flow sensor the air bubbles out and then flows.

cousinabe

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the pointers cousinabe.
If you notice the first link that references similar situations was my original question last year and Silvertip with almost 13,000 posts mentioned the bypass valve. I had also looked at brownspoint for where it was and could not find it which brought me back here for the expertise.

I guess I am still not sure what to check next?

cousinabe

OK, I re-read your post from 7/2008.
It sounds like you have a lack of water flow.

1. Motor runs ok with no tstat.
2. tstat checks ok @ 140 degrees
3. kinked water tube at one point
4. top of cyl head hot to touch.

Sounds like your tstat isn't opening wide enough or the water pump is not pumping/getting enough water through the system.
When you replaced it, did you make sure the water tube rubbers were in good shape and sealed correctly? do you have a strong pee stream?

Also, I would try to flush out the system.
Take off the thermostat cover, take tstat, hook up muffs and start for a 10-20 seconds and blow out any debris.

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I re-read your post from 7/2008.
It sounds like you have a lack of water flow.

1. Motor runs ok with no tstat.
2. tstat checks ok @ 140 degrees
3. kinked water tube at one point
4. top of cyl head hot to touch.

Sounds like your tstat isn't opening wide enough or the water pump is not pumping/getting enough water through the system.
When you replaced it, did you make sure the water tube rubbers were in good shape and sealed correctly? do you have a strong pee stream?

Also, I would try to flush out the system.
Take off the thermostat cover, take tstat, hook up muffs and start for a 10-20 seconds and blow out any debris.

On point #3 actually it was the rubber at the bottom that had a crease and I replaced it so that should be fine.
I have only run it without the tsat on the muffs and there it works fine.
I tried with lower unit removed to run water from a garden hose from the tstat opening back down the system in case something was blocking it.
The pee stream is very strong and I replaced the impeller as well just in case.
The motor has 110psi on all cylinders as well.

Maybe the next step is to take it out without the tstat in it at all, actually the last time I sent my brother out with it i believe the tstat was already gutted. Would it be better with no tstat at all?
What is the danger in this. Our water up here is pretty cold and in fact still covered in ice.

The powerhead looks like it has been rebuilt by the gasket material, is it possible that a gasket somewhere is not sealing properly or that the exhaust cover is leaking to the water side and not allowing the water to flow through the system until i relieve the pressure by removing and replacing the tstat or water flow sensor?

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

Well I fixed the problem. I removed the head because it seemed the cylinder was blowing into the water jacket not allowing the water to flow properly. the head was a little warped so I had it ground down and replaced the gaskets. Voila! runs great, I had it out last weekend and it ran fantastic for 20+ hours.

jjroebuck

Recruit

Hi,, so i got the same prblem on my suzuki dt85.. did i read that u checked your compression and it was 110? but yet it looks like shaving the head is what fix it..
my compression is 120,115,130
jim

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

shaving the head is what fixed it because the head was slightly warped. The head gasket was leaking to the water jacket is what the problem was