Loaded and not getting on plane well

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Took boat out today and was loaded more today than normal. About 500lbs heavier. Evryone was behind windshield. Took off and boat had bow in air and was not getting on plane until my wife went toward bow she opened windsheild and it went on plane. She didnt even get to bow yet. When it is just wife , kid and I it shoots out of the hole. Prop now is a 14.5x21. Should I drop to a 19 pitch.? Wide open with this load was 4900 and 44mph. Not GPS was by fishfinder.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Loaded and not getting on plane well

doesn't sound like a prop issue sounds like a loading issue. either load some more of your weight foreword or invest in some form of trim tabs.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

What motor and what RPMs are you turning at WOT with a normal load?

cooter2506

Motor is in the signature. 5200 and 47mph with normal load. Only run max at 4600 while normally loaded. We just bought this boat and wanted to see what we had with the existing prop. Thats the only reason ut saw the 5200 once.

hwsiii

Commander

Cooter, from my information I show your motor is 175 HP with a gear ratio of 1.84:1 and maximum recommended RPM is 4,400 to 4,800 RPM. IF this is true then you have too low a pitch prop. When I run my calculations I find you should change to a 23" prop in thye same model you have now, if your RPM are correct. But definitely CHECK the tach first with a known good tach to be sure it is OK. And also try to more evenly load the boat from bow to stern for a better hole shot, but not too much in the bow.

H

cooter2506

Tach was verified with shop tack on first outing it is dead on. I ALWAYS run it within the 4400-4800 so im not too concerned about going over rpms. Mostly cruise at 3400 anyway. Was just looking for an answer to a load question. But I guess I will just put at least one in bow to get it on plane when its loaded. Thanks for the responses

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Obviously under propped for normal load but as long as you watch the rpm your ok.
As suggested a loading issue.You could get more speed with more pitch each inch increase would reduce the rpm
ABOUT 200.and increase your speed. By getting a vented prop You could still maintain your hole shot.