F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Load Resistor ohm value?

And you are working on,.......a what??

petryshyn

Commander

Hi F_R

The resistor I'm referring to is used in place of the coil when DVAing pack output. A partial short in the coil primary can result in low DVA readings. This resistor replaces the coil primary with an acceptable resistance mimicking a coil. Its just a common resistor, but I'd like the value so I can make one on the cheap.

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If we are thinking of the same thing Stevens Test Equip makes them and it was called a PL-88. If you want to make your own go to Radio Shack and get part # 271-132. It's a 10-ohm,10 watt resistor. When they were first required for ignition testing I also made my own.

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

Mr Boobie, would that be 10 ohms 10 watts for a 79 rude 35 hp as well for a load resistor?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If memory serves me correctly they didn't use those resistors back in '79. They came out in 1988 when you set your peak reading volt meter on pos 500 for total voltage output. Before that the meter was set on neg and 500 and no resistor needed . But yes, it is a 10 ohm, 10 watt resistor. Your mtr shouldn't need it if your peak reading volt meter is on the right setting for the yr mtr you have. The trouble shooting was a little different back then. Follow your OEM manual for correct procedures.

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

not using a cd77, using a dvm with the DVA ( peak meter adaptor) so if the manual doesnt call for the pl-88 load resistor , than I dont use one? I have low voltage ( 5 volts) from the pac with the coils connected, voltage goes to zero when I disconnect the coils, does the pac not work without a load? or do I have a bad pac, have spark , but weak at 7/16 gap,

F_R

Supreme Mariner

not using a cd77, using a dvm with the DVA ( peak meter adaptor) so if the manual doesnt call for the pl-88 load resistor , than I dont use one? I have low voltage ( 5 volts) from the pac with the coils connected, voltage goes to zero when I disconnect the coils, does the pac not work without a load? or do I have a bad pac, have spark , but weak at 7/16 gap,

That just doesn't sound right to me. It jumps a 7/16" gap?? It can't do that if there is insufficient juice there. I don't believe there is anything wrong with it if it will do that. So call me an unbeliever.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with FR, If it jumps a 7/16 open air gap there shouldn't be anything wrong. Is there something wrong with your meter ? Wouldn't be the first time it happened.