loacating walleye after a cold front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: loacating walleye after a cold front

Don't let them take line like that,...You have to take control of the fish,.....

I've never had any walleye take out line like that,........

Are you slow trolling upstream with the bottom bouncers??

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

i was using steel coated worm harnesses they are rated for 30lbs test they would grab my line and run downstream taking over 100 yards of line while i was chasing them down with the boat and after bout ten minutes of fighting i would feel a sickening pop in the line

Sounds more like Pike than a Pickeral.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

mind you it could be sturgeon i that was on my line too they are plentiful and i caught one last sunday

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

drifting downstream

I don't use bottom bouncers going down stream,...Because you have to go fast than the current to really get the blade on a harness to turn,...

I pull harness upstream with bouncers, You speed over water is what is important here, Don't go just by the gps, You have to figure the current downstream into your speed,...

With strong current I barely move upstream and let the current turn the blade or wiggle the crank bait if pulling them,.....Sometime just hovering in one spot letting the lures work in a hole,............

littlerayray

Lieutenant

hmmmmm
but here the current is really strong and that is the way walleye are fished here
but i have tried the sitting still technique with little to no results

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

And one more with some pictures of the gear,....

Handlining Basics

Sometimes I use those similar tactics with a regular rod and reel with bottom bouncers into the current,...

CJ60

Recruit
Having guided for Walleye on the Columbia River, this was the hardest time to fish- Post Spawn. Many times my pre-spawn fishing was in moderately deep water and SUPER SLOW presentation was a must. 1/2-3/4 oz propeller jig tipped with stinger and worm. 6" SLOW raise and back down. Bite very light. But, that is the time we'd catch the biggest fish, up to 18 lbs. Unfortunately for me, I release big females, so the biggest I was ever able to mount was a 13 lb male.
Post spawn, in ANY conditions, can be tough. But once they come off "The Pout", they want ANYTHING and will hammer it. As previous poster stated, find structure out of main current and present to them slowly, and you will eventually get fish. Keep a good log of the conditions, depth, areas fished, etc., and eventually you will figure out what/where they like in your particular body of water....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Natives referred to pickerel / walleye as the " disappearing fish " as they move in schools to find food.------I heard that you put out a dozen or so balloons with minnows on 8 to 10 feet of line.----Put them out around supper time.----Then look for the balloons in the morning.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
CJ60 Please read about posting in old threads in Our guidelines. Any thread inactive for 90 or more days should be treated like a library book. Read it, but don't write in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.