Livewell Pump Noisy

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I bought a boat with a livewell. This is the first livewell for me. My pump is very noisy. Is that common or, as I suspect a sign that it is going bad?

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, bought a boat with my first livewell. It fills good and works good in auto but it is noisy, almost a squeal. My question is, is this normal, or as I suspect a sign that the pump is on its way out?

Kola16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It could be normal, it could be about to die. It is impossible to tell without a video or audio recording. I say if it works, leave it in. I have a spare livewell pump always with me cause they go out all the time.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
As Kola16 said it's impossible to tell without a hearing the sound. Is it pumping ok? Is it a constant humming sound or does it change pitch?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hi, bought a boat with my first livewell. It fills good and works good in auto but it is noisy, almost a squeal. My question is, is this normal, or as I suspect a sign that the pump is on its way out?
A squealing pump is typically a "dry" impeller or commutator bushing.
It may or may not stop with some run time. Run it until it fails

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. The pitch is pretty constant and its working good. It has kept fish alive on 2 different full days so I'm not going to worry about it. It does take a bit to fill but I see there are different size pumps out there.