Livewell and Baitwell systems

Bailey399

Recruit
Can someone please help me? I have just bought a 1998 Trophy 1903 and unsure on what the Livewell and Baitwell systems do and how they work? I am unsure if these systems pump water in or out when the switch is on? And more importantly what is the safe position these systems should be at? I have no desire to use these but want to make sure they are safe. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Glenn

dadsaway

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Livewell and Baitwell systems

Glenn- I feel bad that you didn't get a reply, but maybe I can help a bit. I have a '96 2002FF so I am not sure of your layout, but like you, I don't use the boxes for fishing purposes. There are two fishwells on the port and starboard side towards the rear of the boat that are tee'd together under the floor and connected to a single pump to drain them. I only use the pump to pump out the rainwater that fills them ( the nemisis of Trophy owners). The livewell's pump brings in raw water from outside water (ocean, bay, lake, etc.) and the overflow pipe sends it out through a fitting on the side of the boat. Hope this gives you a start to figuring out your system. I am sure owners of your model will be much more helpful.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Livewell and Baitwell systems

The newer systems have a thru hull and pump to fill the livewell. The extra water would drain out of the livewell via a hose and thru hull leading overboard.

NOW, some of the boats had the livewell too low to drain overboard. It is nearly at water level. There solution was to have the live well drain into a box that contained a bilge pump. When water entered the box, it would get pumped overboard. This sounds good, but rarely worked right. Many owners had to contend with flooded engine compartments. This picture shows a low bait tank behind the helm seat:
Trophy.JPG

I've converted my low bait well into box that holds my wash down hose. I've mounted an Aqua World tank mid deck. This tank sits higher, so, it can flow over board via a drain hose and thru hull. This works well with Anchovies and Sardines, that need a lot of water flow