Live well

JM123

Recruit
I recently obtained a 1989 Alumacraft backtroller with a live well.
Never had a boat with a live well before.
I was told by a friend that if it doesn’t work you could possibly sink your boat.
I was told it worked when I got it.
I have 2 questions…
1. How do you test it to make sure it works with no leaks ?
2. How do you disable it if I’m not going to use it without leaks.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mr 88

Commander
You could " possibly sink " any boat that has a through hull fitting, that's why there should be a check valve on every one. The hoses that are connected to the fittings are what fail , check condition of your double hose clamps on each end along with the hose itself. If your not going to use it except for a cooler just put a plug in the inlet on the outside of hull. Close off the raw water pump if it has one as well.
To check it , drop it in the water ,turn the pump on and observe. Look to see if any water is making its way to the bilge ,if not your good to go. If it does , start tracing the hoses until you find the leak.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You could " possibly sink " any boat that has a through hull fitting, that's why there should be a check valve on every one.
Have never heard of nor seen a “check value” on a thru hull with the exception of the ping pong ball scuppers of which I’m not a fan for a variety of issues

Any intake (thru hull) below the water should have a sea **** or on-line ball valve installed.

mr 88

Commander
That's too bad. Everyone of my through hulls ( Boston Whaler and Luhrs ,grand total of 18 check valves on the two boats ) that are below or at the waterline has one. Drain scuppers should be at least 2-3" above waterline and have nothing to do with a live well intake. OP was concerned about that , no pictures and no replies.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a below water line sea-c*ock to service the head on my boat, and it makes me nervous. I will probably be plugging that off in favor of a small self priming pump so the water intake can be mounted above the water line

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That's too bad. Everyone of my through hulls ( Boston Whaler and Luhrs ,grand total of 18 check valves on the two boats ) that are below or at the waterline has one.
Sounds dangerous... how do you keep marine growth from fouling the check valves?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
being a 1989, guaranteed the plastic fittings have failed/cracked.

would check out all that prior to splashing.

most livewells have an aerator pump (normally plastic, thru-hull with a strainer) that supplies fresh water. then there are 1 to 2 drain lines to outside thru-hulls.

most livewells in aluminum boats are added to the deck and plumbed prior to the deck going into the boat so service is a nightmare.

still have nightmares about replumbing many mid 90's boats due to failed livewell plumbing. not so much the plumbing work, however having to spend an entire day pulling apart the boat to get to it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have a below water line sea-c*ock to service the head on my boat, and it makes me nervous. I will probably be plugging that off in favor of a small self priming pump so the water intake can be mounted above the water line
Nothing wrong with that system. Make sure the seacock is in good shape, bedded properly, with a ball valve. There are thousands of them in service all over the world. Plugging it off means it's still there and can fail as you will never look at it again.

mr 88

Commander
Sounds dangerous... how do you keep marine growth from fouling the check valves?
Your kidding me ... The check valves are made of bronze , located in the boat and are operated a few times a season. Every inboard boat built in the last 50 years has them. Marine growth is not a factor , corrosion from not being used is., and that means the check valve is stuck in whatever position it was left in. Usually can freed up.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Your kidding me ... The check valves are made of bronze , located in the boat and are operated a few times a season.
I believe what we have is a difference of terminology. What your describing is a seacock or a ball valve

Check Valve: A flow control device which only allows fluids to flow in one direction. Typically spring loaded and mounted in-line. The anti-siphon valve is the fuel tank is the perfect an example.

Ball valve: a flow control device using a hollow, perforated and pivoting ball to control liquid flowing through it.

Seacock: is effectively a ball valve with load-bearing base flange. typically bronze or stainless steel with a bonding fastener threaded into the body.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The 2 live wells that I have owned both had pumps to fill them. One had the inlet on the transom, thus would not draw water unless the pump was on.

The other (a Whaler) had a scoop pickup on the bottom. The line was fitted with a ball valve. If the valve was open, water would draw to the well, whether the pump was on or not. Thus, if you didn't want to use it, simply close the valve.

Regardless, valve closed or open, pump on or not, the tank discharge is a gravity overflow, so the boat can;t possibly sink.

Unless,........the thru hull fittings or hoses are compromised.

1) Close the valve if it has one and look in the well. No water? No problem.

2) If there is water, remove the thru hull and plug the hole.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sold one of these boats this summer.
Dad had bought it new in 1996.
Never had a need for the livewell, always used a small cooler for the few fish he kept.
The toggle switch that controlled the pump was in a very poorly selected location, could be bumped and turned on, flooding the livewell when you wanted it dry. Or running the pump forever while running down the highway.

We pulled the fuse and never used it for 24 years.
Filled the livewell with spare clothes, rain gear, and flashlights.

This summer I popped the fuse back in, and tested it at the lake. Then demonstrated that all worked for the buyer of the boat.

Yes the weak point is the cheap plastic "pipe"used to plumb these things.

One one of my boats, there is a plug in the water inlet.
On the other boat, completely removed the system and riveted an aluminum patch over the hole.

If you plan on keeping, and using the livewell, plan on repairing it at some point.