Little bit worried about launching.....

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Re: Little bit worried about launching.....

You asked if the trailer was too short...as long as the bunks go all the way back under the transom I'd say it's fine. If not, make longer bunks or slide the winch stand up a couple inches, it looks like you likely have room to do that.

As for adding weight, I hate having sand bags laying around. I used water softener salt or buckets of cat litter, or something that I'll use later on. That or bring along a "large" friend to sit in the truck bed, I've seen that do wonders for people at the ramp. Don't let them stand up though, that will either get you on Americas Funniest Home Videos or a trip to the ER.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I used to tow and launch a boat that wasn't much lighter than yours with a Dodge Aries and the ultra powerful 2.2 ltr 4 banger. I never had problems, just pay attention to the ramp conditions, avoid slimy spots as much as possible.

Biged007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off Nice little fishing boat, okay now back to the post here is the steps i would take if it were mine.
1st check the tongue weight my rule of thumb is if you can lift it without grunting it is prob too light. As stated the bunks should be under the transom looking at the pic they look a tad short pulling the winch post up a couple inches also as stated will take care of not only the bunk issue but also add a little weight on the tongue.
2nd the trailer looks like it has seen it,s fair share of weather I will say I think a good wire brushing and paint are in short order.
3rd tires,rims,and wheel bearings you are the best judge if the tires appear to be the least bit dry rotted lose them they Will fail, The rims min. wire brush and paint, the bearings at a min. remove,clean,inspect and repack them when clean if you see any kind of wear replace them they're cheap! I see in the pic what looks to be buddy bearing caps don't be fooled I've seen more inner bearings fail because of them than I can shake a stick at Nothing replaces a good hand packing.
Finally take a good look at that trailer coupler if it shows the same age so to speak as the rest I would think about changing it. If you look at the parts list on this site you will see that all that i have mentioned is available right here and quite reasonable believe me I,m not trying to spend your $$$ but this stuff is simply maint and for safety and that of others and what the hell you have all winter to get her ready
Peace Ed

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BigEd....trailer definitely will be gone through come spring...a good wire wheeling, and if it's in the budget, some POR-15, that stuff is AWESOME.

Tires will be replaced too....they were flat when I picked up the boat, but they took air, and are still holding.

I believe it has bearing buddies on it, there's a zerk fitting in there, but no covers were on it...I'll go through them though.

While the boats off the trailer too, I'm planning on redoing the bunks, and the metal that holds them on, currently it has like a 1" piece of pipe C clamped onto the trailer....I plan to redo, and weld the pipe to the trailer with proper gusseting and supports.

Winch probably could come up, I don't know if I can though, you see, bow roller is getting towards the middle of the boat already and is somewhat of a flatter area...I'll have to figure something out....bow roller is shot too, making the steel gouge into the bottom of the boat a little......not real bad 1/8" chip at the most.

I think it isn't bad for 200 bucks, I've got maybe 70 into it so far...carb kit, impeller kit.....Trailer will probably take the most, need to rewire, paint, tires, bearings, bunks (maybe) bow roller, lights...

I have a buddy that owns a welding shop, and he has some of the best primer EVER....problem is, it's rust brown colored...but, it's free..LOL.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you need weight for traction then may I suggest you try my trick....carry four empty 5 gal buckets with snap on lids and if my truck slips due to lack of weight I fill the buckets with water. You can dump the water after you clear the launch in the boat to wash out any fish guts or mud.:D