List of onboard supplies

Bass-by-you

Seaman
Hey everybody. I recently bought a 25 ft. cuddy with a 5.0/alpha 1. I have been on this sight daily since I bought it to get the great help and advice available here. I am very grateful. We have been working on the retrofit/update project since august and now we are about to launch! We have a place in Gulf Shores, Alabama so that is where we will use and keep the boat. I guess one of my final pre-launch questions is: What kind of a list should I consider in terms of spares and tools and such for keeping on board? I mean I realize that I need the C.G. basic saftey stuff, (flares,extinguisher,first aid,etc) but I am wondering about tools, spares (whatever)....any suggestions?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: List of onboard supplies

Seatow, or Tow Boat membership card. check the area for which has the best service in the use area.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

It depends of the type of boating your going to do.

some things I carry...
spare drain plug
some tools (wrenches, screwdriver, emergency tape)
spare light bulbs for nav lights
spare fuses
First aid kit
paddle

I also have some other things like the usual safety stuff required by my state for the boat.

I have nav aids
GPS/Plotter/Depth
Marine Radio
Compass

Hope this helps.

Then there's the essentials .... Beer

Bass-by-you

Seaman

Aman....thanks. I completely forgot about the beer! As for the kind of boating I will be doing....initial rides will be just shakedown cruises. Check the systems, develop some sense of confidence in terms of reliability that kind of thing. This would all be done in protected waters......but then I will want to get a little braver. Gulf Shores, Al. offers a wide variety of boating experiences. I eventually will want to travel out to fish the oil rigs and artificial reefs. Some will be as much as 25 miles out. I appreciate the input guys.....I'm just trying to think about what it takes to get back home and yes I have joined Seatow.

Thanks

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Flash light, jumper cables...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

spare prop and nut......drinking water....spare spark plugs...extra battery

relstabw

Seaman

Spare start battery,flashlight,spare boat key,spare bilge pump,second fire extinguisher. All of these have been added to my boat because of a previous need or near miss. Remember any safety device can fail and Murphy says it will fail when you need it most!

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

All kind of cleaning supplies, vinyl care supplies, cordeless vacuum, and lots of paper towels. That is what I keep on my boat all the time. The ship must be spotless!

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spare bulbs (dash and nav. lights), a red, green, and white chemicial light stick (can be used as nav. lights if there is a wiring problem), extra batteries for EVERTHING (flashlights, handheld vhf radio, ect.). Extra fluids (oil, beer, water...). Electrical and duct tape. Tow rope. I also have a spare set of truck and boat keys on board at all times.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Also one of those epoxy patties, that will stick to wet surface. Just in case.
I used one two summers ago to "temporary" fix the leakage in one of the thru hull fittings. Next spring, when the boat was out of the water I tried to get it off to do more permanent job - no way I could get it off, so I left it as it was.

Bass-by-you

Seaman

Okkkaaayyyy........I got the beer and the epoxy pattie in case one of them springs a leak...now what the heck else do I need..hmmm.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Spare prop for sure, but dont forget spare nut and thrust washer without the thrust washer the prop will cut into the case and destroy it. Also a wrench big enough to change it with. I have a plastic tool box that stays onboard all the time it stows under a seat out of the way but id handy when needed. I have basic hand tools end wrenches/ratchet/sockets/couple screwdrivers/vise grips/waterpump pliers/big breaker bar with appropriate socket for prop nut/test light. Some supplies I carry fuses,elec tape, wire, asst of hose clamps, asst of nuts bolts washers cotter keys, new end for bimini top, duct tape, marine tex, zip ties, extra bearings for trailer, mini grease gun, and a few other items. Sounds like a lot but it all fits into the box which isn't all that big. Not only for the boat but I have fixed waterskis, the ez up, and a mariad of other things not specific to the boat but sure was nice to have a few things at my disposal...

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i keep a small/ cheap volt/ohm meter on mine. also on and outboard a pull road for the motor, if your battery dies. great thing about older outboards that are carborated,they,re like big lawnmower engine no elctricity needed

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been carrying one of those jump start power pack. Small and light enough to stow.
In the truck, I stow a scissor jack and bearing set for the trailer, and spare keys.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

You've received lots of good suggestions already to be able to fix any problems which you may encounter while at sea (and especially far offshore). But despite all of your preparations, visualize yourself broken down and in desperate need of communications. If your VHF radio and your handheld VHF backup fail to establish communication with anyone, you'll be glad you have an EPIRB ... and although it has already been mentioned, I'll say it again ... plenty of water ... enough to last quite a while. Things you'll probably never need will give you great peace of mind and greatly add to your boating pleasure.

Bass-by-you

Seaman

WOW.........a lot of stuff I never even considered! Thanks everybody these are great suggestions.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW.........a lot of stuff I never even considered! Thanks everybody these are great suggestions.

I know what you mean i am gonna have to tow a boat behind just to keep all the stuff in :D

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Anybody mention extra BEER :rolleyes: :p
Seriously, don't think i saw it listed but i'd sure have a set of dry clothes for each aboard:cool:
Those "vacume sealed" bags work good for that- they take up very little space & i'll never be without it again :redface:

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not everyone is lucky enough to have a parts engine but extra parts would help.......... i carry extra coils, power pack, spark plugs, etc..anything i think i might need and can change quickly....... and thats along with all the things listed in most of the above posts.... i still havent gotten a vhf radio but plan on it.

some more things i carry i didnt see mentioned is some kind of headache reliever and rolaids........... not to mention things like toilet paper.... very very important, lol.

i dont know what kind of storage you have, but i have learned from my bassboats that you need to be good at puzzles to be able to carry everything you need :eek::D

the best way to look at it is as a survival kit for your boat..........

the way i started packing my boat (making a list) was to think back to all the times i have been stranded/broken down, anywhere at anytime (boat,afoot,or auto) , then thought of any and everything i ever needed but didnt have.