link and sync

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok read the faq on this and understand it all except for one thing. I have never used a timing light before im sure i could figure it out but could use some help here guys
the engine i am working on is a
1979 mercury inline 6 outboard 115 hp but this particular model does not have a distributor it has a trigger that runs the advance timing i believe can anyone here help me please???

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: link and sync

that easy huh?
i believe my timing mark thing is adjustable though how do i know its in the right spot and how do i set it to the 3-4 degrees BTDC advance as it says?

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it is a 115 hp mercury outboard inline 6 serial 5415780

gidds

Seaman Apprentice

that easy huh?
i believe my timing mark thing is adjustable though how do i know its in the right spot and how do i set it to the 3-4 degrees BTDC advance as it says?

I have the same question for a 1971 Model 1350 serial number in the 311XXX range (cant get it right now)......not to hi-jack the post, only to share information as we have the same issue....

Thanks in advance

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gidds, I believe your timing marks are on the cowling support and are not adjustable. Find the Link and Sync post in the FAQ and have at it.

gidds

Seaman Apprentice

Borderline thread hi-jacking.....(I think these questions fit in to the how do I use a timing light category)

1) narrative says "remove all plugs except #1"......does that mean remove actual plugs, or just wires?

2) narrative says "hook timing light to #1"......does that mean hook to #1 wire or #1 plug with no wire attached?

3) In the narrative I do not see "start the engine".....does this or when does this happen? (I bet some of you ar shaking your head at this question, but I am used to gunpowder powered devices not gasoline powered devices)

4) "Timing Event One" states "use the light".......my question is how? I am assuming that the light flashes /strobes upon power applied and it will indicate a number or mark compared to a fixed point. I am assuming as you adjust something (screw or throttle) that the comparison between the points will change.

5) What and where is the "tang" or "trigger screw"?.........is it adjusted while the engine is running? is this the "throttle actuator plate adjusting screw"?

Thanks in advance....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gidds,
1) remove all spark plugs except top plug. Place plugs into their wires and tape 'em together and to the block so they are all grounded.

2) hook timing light to top spark plug wire.

3) Engine will not start with only one plug installed, so crank engine.

4) timing light flashes when plug receives spark. Now you can see at what position the flywheel is in when the #1 plug fires. This needs to be adjusted to match the idle timing specificaton

5)Depending on the model, the timing is adjusted by turning some screws, or sliding some plates until minimum spark advance is at spec and max spark advance is at specs. Then carbs are synched to minimum spark advance (usually)

6) If you do not understand this procedure, you are not qualified to mane the adjustments. Consult a shop.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gidds,
1) remove all spark plugs except top plug. Place plugs into their wires and tape 'em together and to the block so they are all grounded.

Does it affect the accuracy of the timing when the #1 top plug is removed and grounded for timing purposes? I have always removed all the plugs (and grounded them) when checking the timing using the #1 plug and I am now concerned that I have been doing it the wrong way and that my timing is off.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When someone tells you to remove the plugs, they mean remove the plugs. If they meant remove the plug wires they would have said so. If you have the plugs out would you really expect the engine to run? All you are after when setting idle timing is to make a spark on #1 cylinder. Just trying to get you think a little here. Timing on an engine is set using #1 cylinder as the reference plug which is why it is left in place. You are familiar with gunppowder devices (I assume that's a gun) and a timing light is no different. Aim and shoot! Your target is the stationary timing mark and the moving marks. The Timing light will strobe the marks making them appear to stand still. Now then -- there are a bunch of screws on the various linkages that can get you into a lot of trouble if you don't know what they are. I highly recommend a service manual. It is the best diagnostic tool you can own.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Don't know if this has slipped by, and as I leave the very critical timing issue to my Merc Guru (he won't let me do anything to his "baby" a crank up rebuilt 135, that I bought from him), but when we set the timing, it was done with the starter ONLY...no running, no static timing, and set at 21 degrees total timing with a light