lights on 16' skiff

red cobia 17'

Seaman
I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO RUN THE WIRES FOR MY LIGHTS ON THE BOW OF MY BOAT I'VE BEEN RESTORING.I TURNED DUAL CONSOLE INTO A CENTER CONSOLE AND i WAS WONDERING IF I COULD JUST PUT LIGHTS ON THE SIDES OF THE CONSOLE.THE BIG SPORT FISHING BOATS HAVE THEM THERE WHY CAN'T I? ANY COMMENTS ON THIS?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: lights on 16' skiff

USCG Rules of the Road covers it but it goes something like this: Red 0 degrees forward to 2 points (of the compass) abaft (behind) the port (left) beam (widest point on the boat, usually in the forward 1/4 of the length). So if dead ahead were on a compass, at 0 degrees, it would shine aft of 270 degrees. I forgot what 2 points means.....probably 2 minor divisions on somebody's compass.....not really important to you as most marine lights have this built in.

On Green, it's the same thing but on the starboard (right) side and has to be behind 90 degrees on the relative compass.

Really says nothing about location. A small fishing boat usually has a single (combination) unit,bow mounted. Ocean going ships, such as an oil tanker, has them on each side of the pilot house, way up high.

What it says is where it's visable to an approaching vessel. You'll find them where it's convenient for the boat designer to install them and comply with the visability requrement.

Your problem may be that you can't find small enough separate lights to satisfy your requirements.

Then you have the white light which has a minimum visability distance limit and 360 degree visability required.

Then when you get to very large vessels, they have 2 white lights that an oncoming vessel can line up (one aft is physically higher than the one fore which allows you to line them up to detect the center line....hence direction an approaching vessel is headed).

Best I can do from memory.

Mark

Drowned Rat

Captain

The rule is they must be as far forward as is practical. If you can argue it was too difficult to mount them on or near the bow then they are legal mounted to the center console.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Oh this one is gonna be fun :) We debated this a year or so ago, and . . . if your bow lights are separated at all, your stern light (all around) must be centered . . . It cannot be placed in one of the stern "corners" like so many are. Turned out that my boat is technically illegally lit . . . or is that lighted . . . no, I prefer lit.

red cobia 17'

Seaman

Thanks for the info.I think I'm going to try to put the light on the bow where it belongs.Going to take a little creativity because of the way the boat is designed but I'll figure it out.Again Thanks.