Lifting Motor. Build Stand-Alone Gantry or Will This Work?

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I can build a stand-alone gantry if need be but was thinking this might save a bunch of time so long as it's safe to do so. I want to sandwich a roof truss in my pole barn (30' span if that matters just fyi) with 2-2x8x10's and use carriage bolts. Then take two jack posts (shoring posts) and tighten them up nice and snug. Perhaps its already been done by others? I don't want to end up getting hurt or pulling my roof down so if this seems like a bad idea, by all means feel free to smack talk me.

Thank you

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 43

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... If the 2x8s are supported on each end, yer roof won't even know the weight is there,.....

What about stability, fore, 'n aft,..??

flashback

Captain
A few diagonals and that should work fine. What's with the joist system
Could you use the tractor, that might even be better..

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would do 2x10's across the top. 2x6's vertical and a couple of 2x4 k braces

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A few diagonals and that should work fine. What's with the joist system
Could you use the tractor, that might even be better..
Was thinking about the tractor too but the back of my boat on the trailer is 6.5ft plus the motor is 2ft plus the load leveler. Would be close. Maybe drive the tractor up on ramps?

flashback

Captain
Was thinking about the tractor too but the back of my boat on the trailer is 6.5ft plus the motor is 2ft plus the load leveler. Would be close. Maybe drive the tractor up on ramps?
Yea I guess, or dig a ditch and back the trailer into it. Once the motor is swinging from the tractor you can put it wherever you want..

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
let the air out of the trailer tires, maybe a little more clearance. saw that in a movie i think, maybe sanandreas with the rock when they were trying to get that chick out of the limo. lol.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I gav removed the tires completely and ran the trailer on the hubs if you need more clearance