Lifting BOat

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lifting BOat

trailer nose down low....transom up high.....block transom.....lift trailer nose up high.....block hull.....move trailer foward......repeat...repeat ....reapeat

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any pics of this procedure??? thanks...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the last three that had to come off were only 16ft or smaller, they just got pushed off into the grass, then dry loaded, with the winch. sorry no pics.

mthieme

Captain

I go through this process every so many years on a slightly larger boat.
I jack up the rear of the boat, block it up on either side. Move the jack forward and roll out the trailer slowly. This part must be repeated several times due to the cross beams on the trailer. Eventually just before the keel rises I block it up there too.
Jacks are safer if you have access to them.

BillP

Captain

I'm too lazy to take the boat off the trailer. I leave it on the trailer by jacking one side of the boat up at a time with a floor jack. One jack on the side and one on the bow usually does it. Then glass, prep and paint where needed, let it down and jack the other side up for the same. I do this when replacing trailer rollers and bunks too. I don't take decks off to do floors and transoms either.

bp