Lifting boat in boathouse

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

My parents recently purchased a family cottage and the seller left this Grew SS150 w/ Johnson 65hp in the boathouse up on railroad ties. A note left by the seller states that the boat is still in functioning order, in any case my question is what to do about lowering it to the water, and lifting it out again in the future. It appears there are chains on the beams above for lifting, can a block and tackle be used to lift the boat on these?

Thanks, currently my boat is parked underneath in the water so it would be nice to lift it a little higher for this season anyway.

file-7.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Lifting boat in boathouse

You can buy electric, overhead boat lifts with lifting straps, etc....just install from overhead rafters(may need to reinforce overhead to support weight of boat). Looks from your photo somebody's already been lifting the boat from overhead/chains/etc. Other, inflatable boat lifts are available also....check 'em out on line!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Kind of hard to explain however....

We built a boat lift with 4 block and tackles 2 in front and 2 in rear. We used 3" straps one front one rear under the hull.

All 4 B&T were tied to a single 6" pip that we mounted a large wheel on with a rope brake. It was easy enough to turn that a young child of 10 could lift the boat and using the rope break it was lowered very smooth.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bob that sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for. From what I can see boat lift kits are very expensive, looking for something a little more reasonable. I think what is there in the rafters was used when taking in and out at the start/end of season by someone from the Marina (with their own equipment).

Local marina/boat storage yard can probably direct you to somebody who can rig something.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think in your situation I would just use 4 2000lb come alongs, and a couple 4000 lb tow straps without the crap hooks on them probably 2" wide, using a block and tackle would probably be more expensive where as the tow straps and come alongs are about $50 each you could have the whole setup for $300 and can be operated by one person, use ths straps to make your boat sling and raise/lower via the come alongs at the four corners.

I am proposing a sling where I believe the Previous Owner was using the cleats since it looks like the PO left you the ropes on the Bow, I think using the cleats is probably more of a solid way of attaching to the boat but I don't like the stress being put on the cleats, if something went wrong it would be catastrophic.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe some of your neighbors up or down the lake who have boat lifts would help show you how to rig something up....folks are usually very happy to "help out the new guy on the lake";)....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

here are a couple of thoughts:

storing the boat lifted, I'd want slings under it instead of relying on the boat's hardware, but short term while you are on premises, the hardware would be OK

Leaving the boat hanging unattended, I'd put a redundant rope or two under it. A boat dangling for a few months over the winter would be bad, if any attachment point on the boat or on the rafters fails.

consider supports running the length of the boat rather than the beam--like a dock-side lift or trailer bunks.

If you have slings or supports across the beam (like you do now) be sure the support astern is within a foot to 18" of the transom, to better support the transom from the motor weight. It does not have to be directly under the transom and in fact to do so would be dangerous.

A fiberglass boat hanging from stern eyes and bow eye can develop a warped hull ovder time; no problem short term. Can't speak to tin.

If you use a plain block and tackle, have a cam cleat on the block for the line to pass through, to prevent a sudden fall if the operator looses his grip. Same function as a winch "clicker". They are used on sailboats for the sheets, if you need an example or source.

A trailer-type winch or two mounted on the side of the boathouse, may be easier to use than a come-along, plus it has the "winch clicker" and other safety features.

You could probably rig up an electric or battery powered winch like a power winch, as well, but watch the ratings since you are dead-lifting.

That's a cool looking boathouse; we don't have many in tidal waters/mild climates. If you want to get into some engineering, a system of davits or tracks may allow you to lift a boat straight up then move it to the side for storage or access for working on it.