Lifting 16ft lund aluminium fishing boat off trailer

Bknboat16

Cadet
Have an old 16ft lund aluminium boat 1979-80 , want to get it off trailer to change rivets on hull . There is no motor or floors just the shell (basic tiller type boat) . Need advice on how to remove it from trailer and support it. Thanks in advance

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

Find a couple of Friends with Strong Backs and Weak Minds

Secure the Trailer from Moving, unhook the winch, and pull Backwards, or secure the Stern of the boat, and pull the trailer out from under it. placing support under the hull as the trailer goes forward

In reality, a boat is only supported Ideally, when it is in the water. It is light enough empty that you really have little, if any thing thing to worry about, sitting in on the floor. Unlevel ground outside only becomes an issue if weight is placed inside the boat

Last edited:

Bknboat16

Cadet
Welcome to iboats

Find a couple of Friends with Strong Backs and Weak Minds

Secure the Trailer from Moving, unhook the winch, and pull Backwards, or secure the Stern of the boat, and pull the trailer out from under it. placing support under the hull as the trailer goes forward

In reality, a boat is only supported Ideally, when it is in the water. It is light enough empty that you really have little, if any thing thing to worry about, sitting in on the floor. Unlevel ground outside only becomes an issue if weight is placed inside the boat
Have access to a chain block hoist on i-beam ,can a rope tied from bow to transom handles be used to lift it off the trailer safely? I ask cause there are no seats bolted on to hold the sides of the boat kind of flimsy along the sides in the middle.

matt167

Rear Admiral
Pull the boat back off the trailer onto stacks of used tires. Lift bow till it clears and pull the trailer out. Then block the front after

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you have a chain hoist, and are concerned about the ability of tie-off points to carry the weight, you could use a 2" wide tow strap to go under the hull from two angles that would roughly balance the empty hull.

I have a 1979 14' Lund that is roughly 290 pounds empty. I also have a chain hoist and it easily lifts that boat using inexpensive nylon tow straps available at Harbor Freight or a home improvement store.