Life or Death?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
It would seem the guilt of the man that parked his vehicle on train tracks in an aborted suicide attempt resulting in nearly a dozen deaths and many more injured is quite certain. He's going to be found guilty of at least 11 counts of murder. So what should his sentence be? Do you put a guy bent on suicide to death or make him live?

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Life or Death?

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> It would seem the guilt of the man that parked his vehicle on train tracks in an aborted suicide attempt resulting in nearly a dozen deaths and many more injured is quite certain. He's going to be found guilty of at least 11 counts of murder. So what should his sentence be? Do you put a guy bent on suicide to death or make him live?
He had a serious change of heart once the inevitable became clear. He didn't want to die, after all!!! No matter that the situation for others to suffer whatever consequences his idiotic decisions were, they did not have the opportunity to have a change of heart. He wanted to die, now let him.

dolluper

Captain

Hope he gets life for each of the eleven in seperate charges since he was going to take his own life anyways let him suffer 220 years

gaugeguy

Captain

I don't see how they are gonna try and give him the death penalty. How are they going to prove premeditation? I think the prosecutors are just grandstanding. He'll get 11 counts of 2nd degree murder, life imprisonment.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with gaugeguy. one of the fundamentals of it is mental state at the time. the second is premeditation. A truly great lawyer will get him treatment and less than 5 years

KaGee

Admiral

What ever happend to closing the garage door and starting the car??

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with GG,his intent was to kill himself,not anybody else.

gaugeguy

Captain

You can still get out of the car KaGee (but you aren't gonna knock off 11 innocents). I believe if you want to off yourself, use a gun. Once you pull the trigger, you aren't gonna change your mind.

Bondo

Staff member

He's going to be found guilty of at least 11 counts of murder.
If it was Anywhere Besides California ,.......<br />I'd Believe that...... :D ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

This guy need to die, just for being so stupid.<br /><br />There are a million ways to kill yourself, why did he choose a way that could harm other people?<br /><br />Ken

spratt

Lieutenant

Ken, undoubtedly he wanted his "going out party" to be grandiose and fantastic, somethig that woudl make SOMEONE notice...wonder who? That si the only thing I can think, because I believe any sane adult knows that a vehicle will derail a train instantly!!! And if he lived in that area, he should have known that the trains traversing the tracks were commuters...so, was he really not intending to take anyone else out???

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Geez! his life was so terrible that he wanted to kill himself, but did'nt want to travel on that road by himself,he needed a train full of innocent people to die with him :mad: <br /><br />put the SOB in a room hand him a gun with one shot and let him go ahead and finnish the job.<br /> They need to stop wasting the taxpayers money, like Ken says, he needs to die for being so stupid.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He didn't set out to kill anybody but himself, and he chickened out on that.<br /><br />That could be second degree or it could be manslaughter.<br /><br />Neither calls for the death penalty.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

C'mon JB, What makes you think that someone trying to commit suicide by train wreck would'nt kill anyone else but themselves.<br />This fella is a moron with not even the the brain of a lemming.

spratt

Lieutenant

Like I said before, JB...this guy had to know that the trains were commuters that travelled there...and he also had to know that a vehicle wouold derail a train..now maybe death to the commuters was NOT his agenda, but he definitely had to have more than just his own death at heart!!! If nothing else, he wanted to go out in a grand style, and knew that something like that would make BIG news, even if HE didn't get to read about it...shoot, if it were nig enough accident, it might even make the history books!!!

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Trains hit vehicles every day without derailing.<br />I'm with JB on this one, He didn't SET OUT to harm anyone but himself. I doubt he was intending to kill people on the train.<br /><br />$.02

Stratosfied

Ensign

Wife's cousin and a co-worker had a train hit them 10 yrs. ago, both had closed caskets. Saw firsthand the Sunset Limited derailment and crash at Bayou Cannot 11 yrs ago or so. Believe me, there are much better ways to check out than by going up against a train.

spratt

Lieutenant

I will buy the fact that trains hit vehicles and do not derail. But the opportunity is great for a derailment. This case proves it. I can also buy the theory that he "just wanted to be killed" and that he did not intend to kill others, that would have to be proved as per-meditated. Under any circumstances, the chance that his vehicle would be hit, and that no ther human would be injured or killed, is pretty low. Suicide that could cause the death or serious injury of any other person should be tried as murder, if the person attempting the suicide lives. In this case the coward caused many deaths while he was unscathed.

gonfishn

Commander

Give him what he set out to do..If not then give him plenty of time behind bars to think about it all his life..<br />I lost a friend once who tried to talk a jumper down once..In the end he took his own life and that of my friend..<br />This world of ours is going at a pace that makes me glad I won't be here in another fifty years..I feel sorry for the next generation coming up..