Let's play "What is leaking from my boat??"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Let's play "What is leaking from my boat??"

C'mon, where's my silver lining?

Uh, er, well, there isn't one, ............... it's a boat, and OMC powered that you knew nothing about.
Now you do.
But hind sight has always been 20/20

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

Well at least it floats. That's a start. I think I'll make a phone call tomorrow the guy that sold it to me. I think he only had it long enough to work on the engine, but we'll see what he has to say.

I really appreciate everyone's help. No good news, but hell, I know alot more about what I have sitting in driveway today than I did yesterday!

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

Woo Hoo!! I would like a refund on the advice, and if someone can loan me another $500, it sounds like I'm good to go! Unfortunately for yall, I can't unforget what I learned today, so I can't exactly return the advice for the refund. It will just have to be given in good faith.

Seriously though, again, thanks to everyone for the info. I'm probably going to hook the trailer up tomorrow and take it to a couple of shops and see what they have to offer (after or while talking to Mr. Previous Owner) and how I feel about them.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

And whywhy, thanks for the heads up on the Stuart page, tons of good info! (I'd say that takes my total today up to at least $575 of good free info)

Coors

Captain

If the drive is still sealed; $800.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

I dropped it off at the shop today. After looking it over, the mechanic said he would order a kit that has all the bellows, the gimble bearing and various other seals for about $160. He said 2-3 hours of labor and a pressure test and I should be good to go. He also had another OMC Cobra that he had apart and showed me internally what he would be doing, which was nice so that I could actually wrap my brain around what was going on inside there. He said that if he were to sell one rebuilt, it would be about $1000 to purchase the whole thing. It seems like the two shops that I have talked to (and the one that now has the boat) are considerably cheaper than what some people on here have thought. Hopefully it comes out close to the estimate.

Updates to follow...everyone, thanks again for all your help!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Keep in mind that none of the repair price you mentioned address repairing the drive itself. After all the expense of parts and labor you quoted you will still have to solve the problem of how the water got into the drive and how the oily mixture got out. All I can say is 160.00 and 2 to 3 hours of labor ain't gonna fix it. Be prepared for the additional paperwork.

BTW, you also NEED a u-joint. It WILL have water in it.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately, I am prepared to bend over for this one.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Before you bend over make sure you are sure this is not a job you can partially do yourself. I have the Volvo Penta SX which on the outside is basically the same casting and I did my bellows and shift cable a few years ago. It is not that hard if you have the factory manuals. It will be much cheaper to take the leaking drive into a shop for a flush, pressure test and repair vs handing them the boat and watching the money fly out the window. You can get a much better and more accurate estimate if you are dealing with only the drive and seals. A drive line shop can replace the u joints for maybe 50 bucks so really what is left is the flush pressure check and sealing of any joints and inspection of the shaft, if all the internals are ok than this should be around $600.00. So bottom line you should be able to do this for around $750. I would also change the shift cable unless it shifts butter smooth. This will also get you acclimated to removing the drive for routine maintenance. Otherwise I would guess $1500.00 for all the work it needs. With maybe 250 of that in parts. If the internals are shot I would have to assume that the PO knew about the problem. Otherwise if this is a brand new problem the drive and maybe even the bearings and u joint could be fine if cleaned and repacked.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

I had it out on the water last Thursday (when I bought it) and it ran great. Could there have been problems that were hidden and the boat still have ran that well?

Let's talk about shifting. Since there isn't a tranny on a boat (unless you're into that kinda thing), what exactly are we looking for here?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I think you need to wait to see what the mechanic finds before you start jumping to any conclusions. The bellows is leaking for sure and probably need to replace the gimbal bearing and possibly the u-joints because of that. He will look at the sterndrive oil and do a pressure test to see if that is also a problem. Once you know more info, you can make decisions based on them.

Don S

Let's talk about shifting. Since there isn't a tranny on a boat (unless you're into that kinda thing), what exactly are we looking for here?

I would suggest you start a different thread for a different question. Very few will read your DIFFERENT quesion, simply because they don't read every reply. Only the original and the last one. Once someone else adds something, it's gone.

And I agree with Bruce. Don't start "What Ifing" it's a waste of time.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind, it's a 16 year old boat. You really don't know how it was maintained much of its life. If you bought a 16 year old car, you'd probably have to put some serious cash into it to make it reliable. That's just the nature of the beast.
Mine is a little older, and in the time I've had it, I had to have several seals replaced on the drive, the impeller we do at least every other year, I had the bellows, gimble bearing, and trim lines replaced (cut by barnicles, salt water moored). On the engine I changed the manifolds about 3 seasons ago and replace the thermostat every season. For a boat that was 14 years old when I got it, to me that's really not bad. Nature of the beast.
for the complete treatise on the Cobra shifting problems, search for the Stuart Hastings website. It'll tell all you need to know and then some. Best thing you can do is find a tech that knows Cobras, and stick with them to get all the bugs out of it. Once it's debugged you can do much of the maintenance yourself. That's what I did with mine.

Don S

On the engine I changed the manifolds and replace the thermostat every season.

You replace the manifolds every year :eek: :eek: My Gawd Man. What a waste of money, in the worst possible conditions you could get 5 years out of them. At least start looking at them before replacing.

Coors

Captain

On the engine I changed the manifolds about 3 seasons ago and replace the thermostat every season.

Don, that Seloc page you saved is ruining your eyes.

Don S

On the engine I changed the manifolds about 3 seasons ago and replace the thermostat every season.

He edidted his post, cause I did a copy and paste of what he said originally.

Coors

Captain

not fair; with firefox, mine usually won't accept.
apology extended, if your eyes are better than my 57 yo pos

Don S

Like I said, I did a C & P, I don't spend a lot of time with typing out what someone else said when the C&P works so easily. 57 huh, let me think for a bit. I should be able to remember back then, it was only about 5 years ago.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

57 huh, let me think for a bit. I should be able to remember back then, it was only about 5 years ago.

! ! ! STOP ! ! ! Don't hurt yourself, we'll take your word for it.
tofunny.gif