Let's play "What is leaking from my boat??"

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up my first boat, a 92 Galaxie 18.5' 4.3L Merc with an OMC Cobra outdrive. Other than a test drive last Thursday, it has just sat in the driveway for a couple of days. When I went out this morning, it was in the process of leaking what appears to be grease from around just above the pivot point on the outdrive. I snapped a couple of pictures, if anyone can enlighten my, I would sure be appreciative. Like I said, this is my first boat, so pardon my ignorance. If it were a Jeep, I'd be all over it.

Thanks in advance.

(By the way, the water on the ground is just what had pooled on the cover overnight, that is not part of the leak).

Attachments

• IMGP0917.jpg
    IMGP0917.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0918.jpg
    IMGP0918.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0920.jpg
    IMGP0920.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: Let's play "What is leaking from my boat??"

t......

Last edited:

crestapre

Seaman Apprentice

What you have there appears to be an oil and water mixture.
Not a good sign. Have you checked the drive oil?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I know exactly what it is. Water in the bellows (Faulty bellows) has gotten into the drive when it cools down, then when it warms up again, it's too full and fills the bellows full of oil/water mixtures.
You need a new bellows, gimbal bearing, ujoints, input shaft seal in the drive, drive drained and flushed and pressure checked, etc. etc.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't checked anything. Like I said, complete rookie when it come to a boat. The engine I would be OK with, but the outdrive is a new one for me.

I wonder why this would just start leaking like it did. It was still coming out fairly quickly when I noticed it, so I don't think it was a slow, overnight thing. I suppose it's better to have it leak out and know there is a problem than not leak and have an oil/water mixture that I didn't know about.

Again, pardon my ignorance. I guess it's a good thing I'm a strong swimmer.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

I know exactly what it is. Water in the bellows (Faulty bellows) has gotten into the drive when it cools down, then when it warms up again, it's too full and fills the bellows full of oil/water mixtures.
You need a new bellows, gimbal bearing, ujoints, input shaft seal in the drive, drive drained and flushed and pressure checked, etc. etc.

Would that still be the problem if the engine hasn't been started (warmed up) in several days (and not at all since it was last in the water)?

Also, if what you have said is correct, and based on the etc. etc. (which scares the hell outta me), what are we looking at to get something like that done (ballpark)? Or is that something that a fairly mechanical person should just do themselves? (Keeping in mind I have never even loosened a bolt on an outdrive of a boat).

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Don, gear lube leak. check the drive lube, if it looks the same them it might be contaminated with water.to leak from there the boot is damaged too.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with Don, gear lube leak. check the drive lube, if it looks the same them it might be contaminated with water.to leak from there the boot is damaged too.

So would this be a problem that was caused by the faulty bellows and would not have surfaced had they (it?) held a seal? Also, to take it down to the fourth grade level, what exactly is the purpose of the bellows? Are they a seal that is designed to contain lube at the bend in the outdrive during trim movement (kind of as a CV boot in a car)?\

Another question...is this a "common problem" and something that is considered routine maintenance or is this a major issue and possibly a sign of some trouble ahead?

Thanks again everyone.

Don S

If you did anything like turn the drive, raise it up and down, a crack in the bellows probably cracked a little more, have no idea, not there to actually see it.
Get an OEM manual, Not Seloc or Clymers as they tell you nothing. The work isn't that hard, but if you don't know what you are doing or looking for, you can cause yourself a lot of extra $$$$$$$ and time.

Don S

The bellows keeps the ujoints and gimbal bearing dry. Must be water tight, it allows the drive to raise and lower, turn left and right.
Yea, it's like a CV boot, only a lot more water proof, but it's also a maintenance item that should be changed about every 5 years or so.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

Since that obviously has to be water tight, is that what you referred to by the pressure test earlier?

Jeez I'm full of idiot questions today, but concerning the manual, are there separate ones for the engine and the outdrive, is it a "whole boat" manual for a Galaxie, or what? I know with my bikes I love the factory service manuals, they are lifesavers. That will probably be my first boat "accessory" purchase and offer some good night time reading for a few days. Where does one go to get such a book?

If it's to the point that I have a puddle of oily water (or watery oil) in my driveway, I guess that's where replacing all the other components that you referred to comes in (gimbal bearing, ujoints, input shaft seal in the drive, drive drained, etc),as opposed to just replacing the bellows? It makes sense to me that if they are replaced before they wear out, the components that they protect are probably ok, but once they go, it opens a can of worms.

Don S

If it's to the point that I have a puddle of oily water (or watery oil) in my driveway, I guess that's where replacing all the other components that you referred to comes in (gimbal bearing, ujoints, input shaft seal in the drive, drive drained, etc),as opposed to just replacing the bellows?

That's about it, and you are ALMOST to as bad as it gets. With all the ater in the drive, I could destroy it to if not fixed soon. DO NOT allow it to sit for very long like it is now.
And yes, the bellows not being replaced when it should have been is why you now have a very expensive problem.

One thing that probably none of the people you bought the boat from mentioned that OMC went out of buisness about 10 years ago. So techs are becomming a thing of the past. Parts are still available from aftermarket suppliers, but nothing new oem. That includes manuals there was a guy on ebay selling manual sets. But from what I hear, he may have stopped.

Pulling the drive is fairly easy, remove the aft pin for the trim cylinder pin, remove the 6 nuts holding the drive to the bellhousing and it slides off.

I'll stop for now so your head doesn't explode. :eek: :eek: :p

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

Damn. You said "very expensive." What should I expect?

I came up with a listing of parts here:
http://www.sterndrive.info/id10.html

I really don't think this is one that I am going to attempt myself. Rather pay some labor costs and have it done right for sure.

Don S

Without taking it apart and seeing exactly what is wrong, I wouldn't even attempt at saying how much. In that single link you posted, there was about $160 worth of parts you need, but that didn't include all of them and no labor. Who knows what the yoke that goes into the drive looks like (Where the seal rides) and you should also replace the raw water pump impeller, make sure there are no other outdrive oil leaks (pressure and vacuum tests), and with everything apart, a shift cable would be a very good idea since nothing else has had any maintenance.
Do we want to even know if the manifolds/risers have been looked at since the boat was new?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I think if you've never worked on a drive before, this is really a job for a pro. For one thing, you have to fix the gear oil leak in the drive and change the gimble bearing and the ujoints, as well as the bellows. It's not that it's that hard, but making a mistake can run into a lot of money to fix it twice. Looks like your bellows leaked water into the gimble area and the input bearing seal leaked oil out. The drive should be pressure tested to make sure there aren't other leaks.

BTW for the age of it the outside of the drive is very clean, must have been a trailer boat in fresh water. Keep in mind it is 16 years old, and many of these parts would have had to been replaced anyway, more than once by this time, depending upon the operator's maintenance habits.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

I could only get a hold of one shop around me that was still answering the phones, and based on what I told them (I think I even sounded like I knew what I was talking about, thanks guys), they gave me an estimate of about $150 in parts and about $250 in labor. Sound about right?

Another bit of history, the guy I bought it from pulled the engine and replaced the (I think) main rod bearings and reinstalled, as well as both water pumps. The boat was kept on a lift the first 10 or so years of it's life and on a trailer until now, I don't think it was ever stored in water for extended periods of time.

Jeeps, dirt bikes and boats...apparently I am a slow learner.

Don S

they gave me an estimate of about $150 in parts and about $250 in labor. Sound about right?
Not even close.
Read post #14 again. (Upper right of each reply is the #)

They probably think you need a bellows and gear lube change for that price.

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

Not even close.
Read post #14 again. (Upper right of each reply is the #)

They probably think you need a bellows and gear lube change for that price.

When I called him I basically told him what happened (a good morning to you today is going to be expensive puddle in the driveway) and that it was obvious that the oil and water had already got to the point that they were mixed together. I asked about the bellows and ujoint and he mentioned the gimble bearing. He said the ujoint may be able to be reused but that the gimble bearing would probably need to be replaced. I can definitely see how off the top of his head (and to get me in the door) he would lowball an estimate and that it will probably very well only go up from there (with all the etc. etc.'s that you mentioned earlier).

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating, rook!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

MAN! I hate to do a drive by post........

But this may result in a complete drive rebuild/replacement. If this is your first boat and you just bought it, You might consider putting a little pressure on the "person" that sold it to you!

Regards,

Rick

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice

MAN! I hate to do a drive by post........

But this may result in a complete drive rebuild/replacement. If this is your first boat and you just bought it, You might consider putting a little pressure on the "person" that sold it to you!

Regards,

Rick

Sooooo not what I want to hear. Oh well.

What are the chances that this problem is coming in from the other end? (A bad seal behind the impeller or something?) C'mon, where's my silver lining?