Lets hear it!!! How do you keep your boat safe?

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class
Title implies what I mean. How do you keep your boat safe( from theft). Hitch lock, boat house. Lets hear it.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Lets hear it!!! How do you keep your boat safe?

ooo ... I get to be first ... these signs are everywhere around my house ... including 2 very dangerous Staffordshire bull terriers ......

burglars-beware.jpg

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

When the boat is on the trailer I use a hitch lock. On the lake I have a manual lift. The manual lift wheel is locked by a chain and padlock. I also remove the key from the boat.

I do this to keep kids from messing with it while we are gone. If someone wants to steal it, this would only slow them down.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use hitch locks, even when it's on the tow vehicle, and trailer left at the ramp. on my 14' fisherman, i have a bicycle lock that goes thur the motor clamp handles, and a chain, thru the handle on the gas tank. also a chain thru the trolling motor to the bow eye. if they want if they have to work for it. been known to remove tires, it going to be gone from home for a while.

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I have it on the trailer I have a logging chain that I welded to the trailer that loops through a peice of rebar welded to the hitch. That is then locked with a big masterlock that hangs under the truck.

It wouldn't stop someone that is bound and determined to steal the boat and trailer but it might make them look for an easier one to steal.

Otherwise the boat is kept inside the marina stored on a rack.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Personally I don't do anything; that's what insurance is for. I store at the house, dog has access, but again nothing in the water and only my tight fitting cover on the trailer. I remove any electronics etc., but I leave stuff in the ski locker and I guess if they want my beer then oh well . . .

BTW, I always keep the ignition key on board. I shut off my batteries and fuel. I think of the key as a safety thing. I don't want to ever be hunting around for it when I have to start in a hurry . . .

crunch

Commander

.357 Mag... small town, everyone has at least one, very little theft here.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Keep it in the garage at home. I've got the usual locks for the trailer tongue, spare tire, hitch lock, etc... Whenever I leave the boat for a long hike at the lake (sometimes days on end) I just kinda keep my fingers crossed. I hide the keys and I don't have any electronics except a radio. I've thought about leaving a sign on the boat saying "Please don't steal me, my owner will be stranded out here." hoping to appeal to some remnant of decency any would be thief might have. So far so good.

tommays

Admiral

I want a new boat BUT the crimnal element is not helping me

NOW if you leave it in the water around here in some areas that would be a problem with portable items

Tommays

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Fool proof method..... just restore it.....
Picture219.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Now who in there right mind you grab on to that handful.........:}

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

About ten years ago, my dad was sleeping at the marina aboard his 25 foot Chris Craft when he was awakened in the middle of the night by a subtle listing of the boat toward the dock. Then he heard whispers, then the rattle of the companion way door latch in the dark.

He pulled a flare gun from under the bunk, levelled it at the doorway then in his best 350lb linebacker voice called out, "Can I help you boys?"

He says he nearly wet himself laughing to hear the frantic scrambling, tripping, and stumbling back onto the dock. A few seconds of pounding feet on wood and all was quiet.

Says he really likes the peace and quiet at the marina...

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a boat that's too big to tow with most normal vehicles, that helps I think. I store it in a secure lot. When I have it at home or elsewhere I have a hitch lock and insurance.

JB

Like CBC I park the trailer in range of a .45ACP from my porch.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the responses. I too keep it at home with hitch lock and golf ball inside with it locked, also covered but im not sure that helps. I was hoping it was enough or if i should do somthing else.

tashasdaddy

it' doesn't matter what you do. if they want it, they're going to get it, or damage it. insurance is the best bet, and using due dillengene.

the poor lawn guy has as much invested in chains and locks, as he does in lawn equipment. if it can be pawned easily, it;s going to be a piece of crak in an hour.

HEY DUDE,WHEN MY WIFE AND I GO TO L.B.L.WE ALWAYS TRY TO STAY WITH IN REASONABLE EYE DISTANT, SURE WE TAKE WALKS ALONG THE SHORE GO SWIMMING EVEN OUT TO EAT , BUT I PROMISE YOU I ALWAYS MAINTAIN EYE CONTACT,THE IF I AM TOO FAR OFF THEY CAN PLAY WITH MY DOGS.8)

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

24hr access locked, covered storage, winter and summer

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

At home we have a large wooded lot and it is stored behind the house. Hafta came to the back door to even see it. Trailering it we have a simple padlock. We also have three dogs including a black lab w/ a deep deadly bark even though she is a "teddy bear" and two "killer dauchshounds" (weiner dogs). If that don't stop them either the 357 mag or the 12 ga will.

MortenH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the winter - 2100 lb's of boat on cement blocks right outside my windows, inaccessable to a trailer, need a crane... Engine in my locked garage.
In the summer, she lies in a guarded marina. Besides that, my good old merc is so hard to start, you have to know her pretty well to get her going...

-M-

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a garage for the boat.