length of oil dip stick

fontenot41

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
33
If you have a 4.3l mercruiser can you measure the length of the oil dip stick. Service manual Says 27.5" and mine is 20". I have a 2005 4.3l serial # 0w017581. I have strange things going on with the oil level
 

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Joined
Jun 19, 2014
Messages
1,365
They vary with the length of the extension tube...

Probably they installed an alternate tube and dipstick.
7.5 inches too short you'd never see oil on the stick without the engine having gallons too much oil in it. That would be obvious to anyone doing an oil change.

Ensure the tube isn't coming loose...
 

fontenot41

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
33
Just bought the boat. I put 5 qts of oil in and it never reached the dip stick. Looks like previous owner had about 7-8 qts in engine.
 

fontenot41

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
33
I've ordered a new dip stick through local dealer so hopefully he ordered the right one..but we have plans to use the boat this weekend.
 
Top