Left side of engine overheating

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
Im pretty sure I know where I screwed this up, next step is fixing it. <br /><br />A brief overview of what I happened.<br /><br />Upon replacing head gasket, 2 bolts were found to be stripped. Drilled out holes, tapped and used helicoil to get everything squared away. Torqued everything down and waited for the weekend to test out. Engine cranked over and off I went. About 5 minutes on plane and the engine shuts down and is smoking. Pulled of the cover and the side I was working on had overheated. The problem I believe is that I did not clean up the shavings from drilling and tapping the holes. I cleaned the shavings out of the pistons, but nowhere else. Could this have caused the overheating? Engine did not sieze and the flywheel still moves everything good. Looking to fix it up this weekend, any suggestions?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Left side of engine overheating

Hello<br /> why were the heads removed to start with?<br /> I dont think it would be shavings in the cooling system. but now you know next time use masking tape and tape it all off :) . Did you surface the heads or at least check the flatness of them while thet were off ?<br />did you check the t-stats and seats? did you check any relief diaprams or seats if applicable? a year and motor size would help :) <br /> good luck and keep posting

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Left side of engine overheating

I had the head off the first time to replace a blown head gasket. Then 2 bolts stripped so I had to take it off again. I am not too familiar with engines so I did not check for flatness. What are relief diaphrams and seats? Its a 1983 150 Johnson seahorse. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.