LED interior lights

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently have 8 blue coin size lights for the interior, i have read that the red light is better for night driving as you can see better. Dont know if this is true or not but i found these!

The wires look thicker and have a connector on the end of them has anyone use this type before? they will fit in my existing holes perfectly but im not sure as what connector i need to get for these! any insight on that would be nice as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, red lamps are better for night visibility and blue is the worst color

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea noticed that last year! plus the ones I had last year were the cheap Chinese crap and the flimsy wires! The ones I'm looking at here are those butt connectors I need?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Good to know, my interior lights of kinda yellow/ amber but havent been out at night yet...thought about changing the color...now I know what color not to use!!

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Every Navy and CG ship only runs red lighting any where near the the outside access and in the pilot house to maintain "night vision" when outside.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Why do you need eight, LED (bright) side marker lights on a boat to see?

What you are considering is most likely a Rule 20 violation.

My helm light is a two way light fixture with one white and red incandescent bulb for night lighting.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the OP is looking at 8 interior courtesy lights

I currently have 8 blue coin size lights for the interior, i have read that the red light is better for night driving as you can see better. Dont know if this is true or not but i found these!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
the OP is looking at 8 interior courtesy lights
LED Side marker lights are crazy bright. Can’t imagine using 8 of them unless you’re lighting the Titanic.

Suspect he”s trying to replace his “rope” lights which the USCG is not all that fond of, especially red lighting that can be seen outside the cockpit

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Those connecters are bullet connectors. Any parts store should have them. In my camper I put up led lights, but they are the full sized flat ones, but do switch from white to red when needed at night. Mine are dimmable but I did not hook up that feature yet.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
LED Side marker lights are crazy bright. Can’t imagine using 8 of them unless you’re lighting the Titanic.

Suspect he”s trying to replace his “rope” lights which the USCG is not all that fond of, especially red lighting that can be seen outside the cockpit
THere is no rope lights, its 8 coin lights currently, they are on my seats facing each area between the seats to light those areas up, the blue is to much at night. they are low on the seats, could proly still see the light but wont be on for traveling just for fishing mostly.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What you are considering is most likely a Rule 20 violation.

My helm light is a two way light fixture with one white and red incandescent bulb for night lighting.

I already have Nav lights approved by the Coast Guard, this is for fishing when im stationary.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those connecters are bullet connectors. Any parts store should have them. In my camper I put up led lights, but they are the full sized flat ones, but do switch from white to red when needed at night. Mine are dimmable but I did not hook up that feature yet.
Right on thanks! thats all i needed to know! i thought they were but wanted to confirm before i purchased them so i new what to look for

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I already have Nav lights approved by the Coast Guard, this is for fishing when im stationary.
Watch that as well.
Some jurisdictions, my state for one, are writing warnings for use of red and blue cockpit lighting citing issues related to rule 20.

“Rule 20 specifies that only those lights prescribed, or those that don’t interfere with those prescribed, may be used. Haphazard installation of additional lighting must be avoided. A violation can occur if the installation of additional lights can be construed as a light required by the Rules for another vessel. For instance, blue underwater LED lights can appear to be flashing if there is any wave action, giving the appearance of a flashing blue light only authorized to be used by law enforcement vessels per 33 CFR 88.0”

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watch that as well.
Some jurisdictions, my state for one, are writing warnings for use of red and blue cockpit lighting citing issues related to rule 20.

“Rule 20 specifies that only those lights prescribed, or those that don’t interfere with those prescribed, may be used. Haphazard installation of additional lighting must be avoided. A violation can occur if the installation of additional lights can be construed as a light required by the Rules for another vessel. For instance, blue underwater LED lights can appear to be flashing if there is any wave action, giving the appearance of a flashing blue light only authorized to be used by law enforcement vessels per 33 CFR 88.0”
Yea i havent seen water patrol on our pool of the mississippi river in 10 years. they prefer to stay at the mark twain lake. but yea