Learned a new word this week

bigdee

Commander
I like a chipped ham and cheese sammich and I like scrapple, sliced thin and fried crispy in the morning with my eggs ... best with a little maple syrup to sweeten it up.

scrapple and grits mixed together with butter is great....it is the north and south coming together!!

aspeck

Staff member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TMuhw2tLN0I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yep, winner winner Chicken dinner, a Water Go Spaghetti No is a strainer or colander.

My turn to assume. Is chipped beef Corned Beef out of a can. If it is I love chipped beef when I make Corn Beef Hash with 2 fried eggs on top.

One of my favorite dishes and sayings is Scottish Steak made by Grandma McCulloch from Troon, ground beef in gravy.

aspeck

Staff member
Nope, chipped beef is a dried beef and then sliced very very very thin (chipped). Chipped beef gravy is a white rue (flour, milk, and a little butter, salt, and pepper with chipped beef cooked in it. Served over biscuits or toast and it is a breakfast of champions. Around here you can order chipped beef gravy with toast and fried potatoes and make it a mess. That means chipped beef gravy over the toast or biscuits AND the fried potatoes. YUM!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And GA, I don't live in Philly or Pittsburgh, but I like a chipped ham and cheese sammich and I like scrapple, sliced thin and fried crispy in the morning with my eggs ... best with a little maple syrup to sweeten it up.

Aw, 'speck - You're in the middle so ya get to chow down on both of them. I had to move from the Steel City to Philly to learn about scrapple and got plenty of funny looks when asking for chipped ham. Almost as bad as in Texas, but I wisely never broached the subject of scrapple.

Fried scrapple with maple syrup is Nirvana on a plate. :)

southkogs

Staff member
LOL ... "bless your heart" ... one phrase with such an arsenal of possible interpretations.

Fun vid 'Speck.

dwco5051

Commander
I like scrapple, sliced thin and fried crispy in the morning with my eggs ... best with a little maple syrup to sweeten it up.

We have several custom butcher shops right close. If it's run buy the English you order scrapple. If the owner has a beard and is wearing a straw hat you ask for Pon Haus. (Pennsylvania Dutch for "pan rabbit") A mixture of meat scraps, corn meal, and buckwheat flour. Unless you were raised on a farm you don't really want to see what gets boiled down to make scrapple. Just enjoy it and use your imagination. As they say "waste not, want not"

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok yall got me hungry I'll have to make this when I get home. I grew up on this, especially when times got tight.

[h=3][/h]
SOS

In Screen Saver I mention that on a fuel stop at Clark Air Force Base in Manila on the trip to Vietnam I went into a cafeteria type of place where there were vast steam tables with a lumpy, viscous substance that was apparently being offered to the troops as food. I subsequently – after some time in Saigon – learned that the substance, which was also on offer in the Officers’ Clubs where I ate most of my meals, was called SOS. I guess that stood for **** on a shingle. Even later in my tour, one of my fellow officers started waxing poetic one day about how good the stuff was. He waxed so poetic that I had to try it, no matter how awful it looked. I soon found myself also waxing poetic about it. It was really good. I have never seen a recipe for it, but I have been able to duplicate it with a fair degree of accuracy. [h=3][/h]
Ingredients

8 ounces of ground beef

2 or 3 garlic cloves

Olive oil (just a little)

1/8th cup of flour

Whipping cream

Lea and Perrins

English muffin

[h=3][/h]
Cooking

Use a garlic press to get some garlic in a cast iron fry pan. Put in a little olive oil. Put in the ground beef and blend the oil and the beef and the garlic into a kind of uniform paste. Turn the gas up to high (if you are cooking electric, let the element get red before you put the pan on it). Cover and let cook for a few minutes – 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the lid and there should be a mass of beef and garlic that is partially cooked and is kind of like a beef patty with garlic laced into it. Break it up some, but leave it in lots of chunks. Don’t break it down to the size of the grind of the beef. SOS is supposed to be lumpy. Turn the heat down to medium. Turn the chunks a few times until they are done and put the flour in and mix it up with the meat with a wooden spoon. That should yield a bunch of beef and garlic chunks coated with flour. Brown those a bit. Then add some whipping cream. At this point you are turning the mix into a sort of country cream gravy. It will thicken and need some water to thin it down a bit. When it looks like sausage gravy put the mix on your previously toasted English muffin halves and eat.

sos-animation.gif

bigdee

Commander
Depending on the occasion "Bless your heart" can either be an acknowledgment of empathy or stupidity.
Speaking of military SOS reminded me of a sign I seen in the latrine at the barracks in Germany..."Flush twice it is a long way to the mess hall".

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
My GD and and her hubby were stationed at Fort Carson in Co. We helped moving her stuff up there. I made a special effort to eat breakfast at their mess hall. They had it; but definitely not what I remembered. They used the ground beef; gravy was like wall paper paste; and was spooned on; not ladled. Very bland! Can still remember the 3 slices of toast; the powdered eggs; and the HOT SOS on top. It looked like YKW; but it was the staple. Not to forget the 3 glasses of cold powdered milk; and the great coffee.

And remember; this all started with "hosepipe'. Funny!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Nope, chipped beef is a dried beef and then sliced very very very thin (chipped). Chipped beef gravy is a white rue (flour, milk, and a little butter, salt, and pepper with chipped beef cooked in it. Served over biscuits or toast and it is a breakfast of champions. Around here you can order chipped beef gravy with toast and fried potatoes and make it a mess. That means chipped beef gravy over the toast or biscuits AND the fried potatoes. YUM!

I've had it then. A little place outside Beckley West Virginia "Dirty Ernie's Biscuits and Gifts." Maybe the best named Dinner ever, I remembered the name after 12 long years. It came with a side bowl of gravy, For a laugh I stuck my teaspoon in it and it stood straight up. Beckley coal was and still is a major raw material for our Cokemaking operations here in Canada. I hope we don't tariff your coal.

I was surprised that 80% at least of Miss Witherspoon's southern colloquialisms are used right here in southern Ontario, But "goobers" certainly aren't peanuts, even down below the Mason Dixon I don't think they are peanuts either.

southkogs

Staff member
... even down below the Mason Dixon I don't think they are peanuts either.
They can be. You'll also hear "goober peas." Depends on the town, and frankly age ... younger southern folks don't use it as much.

BUT ... if you're ever down here, and you find an "old timer" selling "boiled goober peas" from a cart: GRAB A BAG. I don't care for the store bought boiled peanuts, but the right ones off the street corner are amazing.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
me too but SOS is the bomb, at least the way my dad made it. Have to say on my forum it is almost a sport to see just how far off we can go but then again there probably much more adult beverages involved.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
me too but SOS is the bomb, at least the way my dad made it. Have to say on my forum it is almost a sport to see just how far off we can go but then again there probably much more adult beverages involved.

Exactly what your recipe for SOS is my former in-laws recipe for Scottish Steak sans the garlic, they would use onions and sometimes add mushrooms. That same prep and add a can of crushed tomatoes and you have a variation of Bolgonese sauce for pasta. Some use flour some use just milk, I use 18% cream or a rue. Sauté the garlic, diced celery and carrots and it is more traditional Bolognese. A east coast Maritime buddy makes the exact same dish but adds pre cooked diced potatoes, mushrooms and peas. It looks like a Dog's dinner and tastes marvelous. We make sure he makes a big cast iron pan full on our fishing road trips. The best is cleaning off the plate with some good crusty bread. Cleaning off your plate with bread in an Italian home is called "usare la scarpetta. A scarpetta in little shoe in Italian, translated is "to use the little shoe."

Old Ironmaker

Captain
They can be. You'll also hear "goober peas." Depends on the town, and frankly age ... younger southern folks don't use it as much.

BUT ... if you're ever down here, and you find an "old timer" selling "boiled goober peas" from a cart: GRAB A BAG. I don't care for the store bought boiled peanuts, but the right ones off the street corner are amazing.

One of the things I miss driving to FLA is to get off I-75 and stopping roadside in Tennessee or Georgia is to buy a bag of boiled peanuts, or should I say more than 1 bag. As soon as I unload the luggage at a motel stopover my wife would say "where are you going, we just got here?" Off to get a fill of boiled peanuts my dear. The first time she thought I was nuts, yep for boiled peanuts babe. Get it nuts for peanuts. Sorry.