leaky rivot

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: leaky rivot

Replace the rivet. It is simple if you do a little headwork, which I have already done for you.<br /><br /> Find an industrial supply store somewhere around you. Ask them for a 1/4" CLOSED-END pop rivet. I used an aluminum rivet with a stainless steel mandrel and had excellent results. I replaced over 100 rivets in a Sea Nymph that I was completely rebuilding a few years back and the boat still looks great. No corrosion issues as the boat is trailered. <br /><br /><br /> Follow the directions on how to set the rivet- use the proper size drill bit and do the proper surface prep. The rivets I bought cost me $16 for 50. The rivet gun I bought to set them with ran $40. I still have the set and have replaced a couple dozen leaky rivets in friend's boats since and they love me for that. <br /><br />UFM82<br /><br /> It beats smearing some goop on your hull. The new rivet will polish up just like the originals and will be flush like the originals.

Cadet

i assume that means i still have to get to it from the inside?? if so, i think i'll try the gluvit and see how it works before tearing out my console and then the floor for one rivot....

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Karma i beleve this is done from the outside, no need to tearup your boat ;) J.C.

Cadet

well, i finally got around to picking up some gluvit and applied it this morning. seemed a little thin, we'll have to see how it sets up. did manage to also get some in my eye-YIKES! <br />Ill let you know how it works....