leaks

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this may be a vague question. but I have a water leak I cannot find any signs of externally. i have some gauges. from a roller that broke and scrapped the fiberglass. The odd thing is that until I get on the trailor and put it at a severe angle it doesnt get to the back of the boat. The boat is a 1974 starcraft american from what I can tell the scratches are suface but it is the only damage to the outer shell. Is there some way of finding a leak I am not aware of? I tried leaving the plug in at the lake and looking under for any drips but I cannot find one. I was thinking of cleaning the scrapes out with a light sand paper and using a little rubbing alchohol to get the remaining dirt and debris out then filling with a silicone and smoothing it out. Do you guys think that would work? Even if all it does is a temp fix then atleast I can confirm if it is those sratches or not? We were in the lake for around 7 hrs today and the boat drained for about 15 seconds of a very solid stream may have been about a gallon or a gallon and a half of water. Not the worse boat leak I have ever dealt with but I would like to get it cured. Any suggestions and ideas much appreciated I have learned so much from you all and this site.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: leaks

1. What kinda rig ya got?
2. Doubt you're leaking from a scratch, but I can't see them (pictures are good)
3. Do not put silicone in those scratches.
4. Are there any thru hull fittings? ( cooler drains, live wells,etc.)

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

My apologies I cant get pics tonight it has gone dark already. It is a fish ski combo I guess is what it is called. Has seats up in the front and the back to back seats behind the windshield. The more I thought about it scratch is not the best description. I wouldnt say they are gouges but they arent scratches I will snap some pics in the morning and get them on here. What would you suggest putting in them though if silicone isnt the answer? The only holes that are in the boat are the drain plug in the back where the engine is tightened to the top of the transom and the one at the bottom back where the plug goes there are no leaks in the back of the boat I can find. There use to be before I replaced the rotted piece of wood the guy had never fixed that helps support the lower bolts of the engine brace. However that is now fixed and the best I can tell the leaks are in the front of the boat somewhere. I dont know if this helps but the boat setup is a 1974 starcraft america with a 1985 85 hp force motor on the back. It is a mid to deep V not sure of which it is I have had multiple opinions on that. I believe it is a fiberglass outer and inner hull with wood between the two layers? Again I will post pics in the am.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
1974 starcraft american. I believe that is a Glass boat. As CW said do NOT use Silly Kone in the scratches. Get some acetone and a Gelcoat repair kit to fix the scratches. Post some pics. Take pics of the Outside of the Transom down by the drain tube, inside the boat of the transom of the bilge and the drain tube, and of course the scratches. My signature has a link to show you how.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

i have some gauges. from a roller that broke and scrapped the fiberglass.

You mean your roller broke and now you have some Fiberglass damage right ? Just because you see gouges does not mean its superficial ..

Really need them pics of the area where the roller damage is..

YD.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMAG0160.jpgIMAG0158.jpgIMAG0157.jpgIMAG0159.jpgIMAG0163.jpgOk again I have found out that I was misinformed on my boat, it is just a ski boat. Seating in front of and behind the windshield. No live wells. It is a 16.5 ft long boat according to the title and registration. Here are my pics I took the ones of the scratches and noticed a spot where wood is showing through, I had not noticed that until now. Probably shoudl start there with fixing the thing up. WHere can I get the repair kit? Bass pro? or boat dealer?

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have a clue why the pic of my engine is in there I took it out and it still got in the post please disregaurd. thank you for all suggestions.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Is this a wood planked boat ?

Fiberglass over a wood hull kinda thing ?

If your seeing wood then you should let it dry out before you start your glass if thats the case..

YD.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Wood showing, then you found the leak...this is why we push for pictures.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but I'm not seein what you're sayin!! WOOD?? Where?? Can you specifically describe where the Scratch/Gouge is that you think you are seeing WOOD in? I believe you're gunna need a little more than a "Kit" to repair this if it truly is a gouge that has wood behind it. If it is BROWN that you are seeing, it may just be Fiberglass. It sometimes has a reddish brown appearance. Can you take a knife and actually peel out wood fibers??

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now that you mention it. It looks like the fiberglass on the inside I can see. So do I need a gel coat repair kit or a fiberglass repair kit?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

If your seeing wood then you should let it dry out before you start your glass if thats the case..

YD.

The wood thing came from this......I didnt' see it in the pictures either. Thought maybe there was more we didn't have pictures of.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OK, now that we have established that, Is it still wet? Any seepage coming out of the Gouge? If YES, then it HAS to dry before you can proceed. A Hair Dryer might help. If NOT wet then, use some 60 grit paper and sand the gouge out and kinda feather it back a bit on both edges. Get some Gelcoat and mix in some cabosil to make a paste the consistency of mayonaise. Wash the gouge out REALLY good with Acetone. Fill it with the gelcoat paste. Tape some plastic over the gelcoat so it will cure properly. When it's cured sand with 400, 600, 1200 and then buff. It'll be good as new.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all I was at bass pro earlier and had the gel coat repair kit in hand but read this post during that time and all the sudden I wasnt sure what to getl, lol and they were no help what so ever. So other then the 10 dollar repair kit that just had a tube of the stuff in it and a spreader, where do i get the additive you had mentioned, Wood? Much appreciated for the advice. I was having such a problem getting off the trailor and when I pulled the trailor out about a month ago i saw the broken roller and just like murphys law says it was after what could go wrong had. The gouge in the hull. I have no idea if it was leaking prior to that or not since that was the second time I had it out. I do know it has to be leaking on the front of the boat and that is all the evidence I can find of anything. You guys are the greatest help I could ask for.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I been thinking about this and I Really think you MIGHT want to consider putting some glass in that gouge. Since we believe it is leaking then Gelcoat paste is probably NOT going to be enough. We need to seal that gouge for sure. Go to a local marine shop and see if they can give you a local supplier for Polyester Resin and some Fiberglass mat(CSM-1.5 oz). You COULD get some from Autozone but it is NOT the best grade of stuff. Any hoooo.... I really think you should take a random orbit sander and sand that gouge back and feather out to about 4" by however long it is. Then take some saturated mat to lay in there. Then sand and fair. It is NOT that hard of job and it will ensure that the glass is sealed up tight and waterproof. You can then just take some Gelcoat and roll it on like paint to finish the job. Others may have other ideas but that's what I am thinkin now.