Leaking Rivetts

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Picked up a 78 starcraft alumn. 14 ft open fishing boat, and the rivetts are leaking mainly the ones that hold the ribs on. Is it possiable to repean the same rivetts,or do I have to replace them , if so do I have to put some kind of sealer on them before I do? It would not do any good to paint galvet on the inside, because you could not get it under the ribs. Seems like most of the leaks are on the starboard side, first three ribs. This is the side I sit on and gets the most pounding. I would have to grind or drill out the rivets to take the seats out to get at some of these. Has anyone tried stove bolts insterd of rivets. With sealer and locktite, washers on nuts side ? Is there a special tool for doing the rivets ? I assome it is a two man job, one on top, and one on bottom. I am open for advice on this project. The boat is in excelent shape otherwise .

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Leaking Rivetts

Try and buck them tighter with a ball peen hammer and a chunck of iron...someone holds iron on the outside, another whacks the rivet inside. Then coat the inside hull with Gluvit. A forum search on Gluvit will tell you how.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Yeppers pretty much what TM said rebuck the rivets then coat all rivets and seams from inside the hull with Gluvit.

Rick

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should the outside rivet be coated before I peen it over. Seems to me you can`t coat the inside under the rib around the rivet. Will it seal from the top of the rib around the rivet and down under the rib to seal ? Water is comming out from under the rib when I run, not a lot, but I would like a dry boat. Can`t lay anything on the floor without getting wet.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Once you repeen the rivets that will tighten them back up then pick up a 2 pound kit of gluvit and seal ( from inside ) all the seams , ribs and rivets and it will be like a new boat :D.

Rick