leaking oil from vent screw

becoyote

Seaman Apprentice
My first boat and a new to me 1982 Merc 115hp 6cyl.

Changed the lu oil before taking it out, it was milky. New screws with new washers, threads seemed fine. Test, pulled the boat out of the water and noticed my new oil (now milky) leaking from the vent screw.

Changed oil again and noticed some oil leaking out again.

Tightened it and used as much torque as I thought prudent.

Should I try doubling up washers? Silicone the threads? I scraped the old washers out clean and can't see any cracks or damage in that area.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: leaking oil from vent screw

Still sounds like a O-ring issue to me, I wouln't caulk it.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Are you sure you are using the right one?? Let me ask you, when you put the screw all the way in, Is it going in all the way?

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at it...get a light and get down there and really eyeball it. My guess is you have a piece of dirt in there or maybe a burr...

if it's flat and smoot it's a fairly easy surface to seal...should not need any caulk or sealant

maybe also try one of your old washers to see if that does the trick.

becoyote

Seaman Apprentice

the old washers were basically sludge when I went to remove them so I can't really compare.

The screws and washers came from west marine. They say Merc but do not have specific years or models listed. I was guessing there is only one kind. Could there be more?

The vent screw will seat with no washer at all.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The Merc screws and gaskets are universal. That vent plug should seal w/o a gasket, so you have a strange issue. Make sure you have scraped off all the old gasket material. You can put some permetex #2 on the threads. That may help.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes make sure the washers are completly gone they can become hard and seal theirself tight to the lu. could have been already double washered and that can cause a leak.