Leaking Fuel Sender

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I have noticed a bit of fuel leaking through the center stud of the fuel sender on my I/O tank. (The round one with 5 holes and a center stud and a arm that pivots) It happens when I fill up almost 90% full and as everyone knows, when you are pulling tubes or skiers, the boat is always very heavy in the water and therefore all the fuel tends to just be at the end where the sending unit is. Will a new unit solve this? They seem to be build on the cheap side.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree they make things as cheap as possible, but the sender shouldn't leak and needs to be replaced.

Chris51280

yup. I agree. I just didn't want to throw parts at it and get the same results

alldodge

Staff member
My guess is the new one will not leak for maybe the same length of time it took the first one
Could use another manufacture, just need to measure depth of tank and subtract one inch

Chris51280

well, not sure how old the current one is. boat is 32years now. I believe its around 12" deep

kenny nunez

Captain
Did you try just tightening the 5 screws? It is easy to make a new gasket from a sheet of cork material. I have acquired it from a NAPA store. 1/16” thick material should be all you need. A common squeeze hole puncher will cut the 5 holes. Just cut the center hole enough for the sender center area. Clean both surfaces but do not use any sealer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the fuel leak is around the center fuel sender elecrical stud, be careful tightening that nut If the stud itself spins you can short the sender resistor stip inside the tank and now have an inoperable sender. Do this correctly. Remove the sender from the tank. Inspect the area of the leak and then disassemble, seal and reassemble as required. Do it right or do it again.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
They do make rubber fuel proof gaskets also. The cork ones are fine, so are the rubber ones. I actually have a couple spares from when I worked at a marina and had to replace senders. The new ones come with a gasket, but the old rubber gaskets were good. So being who I am, I saved them.