Leaking boat

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an Alumacraft 12' semi vee , 1976 model that I just got in a trade. I put it the water yesterday and I had a few minor leaks in a few places in the seams. Maybe 2 table spoons full in an hour that it was in the water . Not leaking around rivets, just between the over lapped metal. Best way to stop the leaks?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Use the boat on warm sunny days. The water will evaporate.

If it really bothers you , clean and seal all seams inside and outside, with gluvit.

Don’t use any kind of caulk or silly silicone.

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Use the boat on warm sunny days. The water will evaporate.

If it really bothers you , clean and seal all seams inside and outside, with gluvit.

Don’t use any kind of caulk or silly silicone.
I second the Gluvit option. Works very well. 1678502776638.png

sendywilliamson

Recruit
I am new here but not ne in this. I just want to say that there are few tips is to stop leaks in the seams of your Alumacraft boat, you will need to seal the areas where the metal is overlapped. Here are some steps you can take to fix the leaks:

1. Remove any old sealant or adhesive that may be in the seams. You can use a scraper or wire brush to do this.
  2. Clean the seams thoroughly with acetone or another solvent to remove any dirt, grease, or other debris.
  3. Apply a marine-grade sealant or adhesive to the seams. You can use a product like 3M 5200 or Sikaflex 291. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for application and curing time.
  4. Use a putty knife or similar tool to spread the sealant evenly over the seam, making sure to fill any gaps or voids.
  5. Allow the sealant to cure completely before putting the boat back in the water.
  6. Inspect the seams periodically to make sure the sealant is holding up and reapply as necessary.
By following these steps, you should be able to seal the leaks in your boat and prevent any further water from entering.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've used Gluvit to stop those kind of seeping leaks and it works very well. In my boat, it has lasted years without any problem. I don't believe Gluvit is resistant to UV light, though, so if it's going to see sunlight, make sure you paint over the Gluvit after it has cured.