Leak & Transom Repair 32? Conquest

highamperage

Cadet
I have a 32? 1979 Bayliner Conquest, which sprung a leak coming through a bolt hole in an outdrive. Not exactly sure how water managed to get in there, but it ended up sealed itself. Problem is, I had to move and the boat has been left in the water for a few months with this problem, now I?m having it shipped to my current location but I am afraid water may have somehow gone from the outdrive into the transom. Once the boat arrives, I?m going to leave it out of the water and take the outdrives apart for serving and inspection, but the thought of transom damage is not a pleasant one.

What are your thoughts?

If a transom repair is needed on a boat like this, what kind of prices are we talking about? I know I?ve seen $1500 as a good price for much smaller boats.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Leak & Transom Repair 32? Conquest

Its tough to guestimate until you actually look at it. maybe just a little damage if any and minor repairs can fix it, or it can be a domino affect and lead to other issues. drilling small holes with a small drill bit will give a good indicator of how the transom is. Look for dry shavings of wood. refill the holes with 3M4200 or 3M5200 to seal them back up. Good luck with the project. Tink

highamperage

Cadet
Re: Leak & Transom Repair 32? Conquest

Yea, the water wasn't come from around the outdrive. So hopefully I'm good. There was a missing bolt and water was coming through that hole. (Don't ask, there was not suppost to be a bolt hole there according to diagrams I've seen - who knows what the previous owners did)

I'm hoping just a steal went out and was allowing water into the outdrive, which came through the mysterious non-existant bolt hole.