Leak near timing cover?

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 Glasply with a mercruiser 260 and today I noticed I had a decent amount of oil in the bilge from yesterday's outing. Lost about a half quart in about an hour run. I believe that this may be coming from the timing cover? Does the engine have to be pulled to get the oan off to gain access?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The timin' cover is under the oil pan, 'n the motor has to come out to get the oil pan off,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
And it's more likely a rust hole in the sump. If there's enough parent metal left, weld it up and have it hot-dip galvanized. Paint with your favourite colour and stick it back on... (Yes, engine needs to come out)

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I went back today and tried again to pinpoint the leak but now believe it may be the Fwd side of my starboard head gasket on the outboard corner causing oil to run down the timing corner and run off. I'm not certain but it makes sense because through a 1/2 hour no wake zone she was warm but not leaking. After an hour run at about 35 to 4000 rpms I checked again and had about 1/2 a quart on the oil pad in the bilge I put down to help pinpoint a location. It's the kids birthday tomorrow and all she wants is to go out on our new (to us) boat. I plan to clean and degrease the bilge and the areas I believe are suspect and put new a new oil pad down as well as one up against or below the head where I believe its leaking. Only going up the water front through the no wake zone and back to get her warm enough to show the leak. Could not replicate it today on the muffs. It seemed that there was possibly more oil back at the head.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One problem is that I picked the boat up a few months back, took for one 3 hour run and then winterized it. Motor has about 1400 hours on it so if I end up doing a bunch of work i would rather rip the motor out and put in a longblock however we are just hitting boating season and I'd rather get it back on the water while shrimp, lingcod ect are open.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Achris, thats the problem. It runs like a top. Obviously I'm not going to run it like that. Today's trip is a two birds one stone situation. Going to go through the no wake zone and back and get her hot so i can hopefully pinpoint the leak. After that I'm pulling it from dry dock moorage and bringing her home to rip her apart. If I have to pull the motor I probably will order a new long block so I'm starting fresh. Is there an updated 350 that would bolt in and pair with the outdrive, mounts, ect?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Stop putting cart before horse. Find out where it's leaking. If it's a head gasket, valley gasket or head/rocker cover gasket, easy to do in the boat. No need to pull the engine (which is only a couple or 3 hours work anyway..)

Chris........

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I'd have to second that just throwing money at a boat is a quick way to just throw money. Eventually you have way more in the boat than was justified. 1400 hours is mechanically fine with a maintained motor. Figure out what is wrong and fix it. Go boating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most I/O motors will last 4000 hours plus if maintained per the manual.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Appreciate the input. Thos motor seems well maintained. It was a one owner, garaged its entire life boat and the elderly man had all the receipts back to 1985 when he bought it new. I took it out the other day at lower Rpms most of the time for about 2 hours. Only had about 3 or 4 drops of oil on the pad below. Had a peice of nomex by the head where I suspected a leak and it was dry. Checked along the timing cover and oil cover and also dry. Have not had the chance to get back while it's cold with a mirror and flashlight to try and pinpoint it. Will report back when I get the chance

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1620007373897.jpg
    FB_IMG_1620007373897.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2