Leak in cooling system, OMC Cobra 1989 - need part name

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeberman

Recruit
I'm looking for the name of a part so that I can try to order it. If you are facing the engine from inside the boat, there is a metal cylinder clamped to the backside of the engine block. Several cooling hoses are attached to it. What I originally thought was a hole in the hose, is a small crack in this cylinder. When the engine is running the water pressure makes the water spray out of the crack and into the bilge. First, nicely wetting the spark plug wires and other wiring and the starter.<br /><br />The engine runs fine and the outdrive is fine. Already used the boat this year. Just have to run the bilge pump regularly. Not a good idea for lots of reasons.<br /><br />Doesn't look like a freeze problem from last winter. Drained the outdrive and the engine, and lef the cooling hoses unattached to the block for the winter. I think its just age related.<br /><br />I don't have a repair manual, just the owners manuals, so I can't identify the part. Nor do I know where to find a replacement. <br /><br />Please let me know if you have any information.<br /><br />Thank you<br /><br />David<br />dbeberman@corporatewavenet.com

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Leak in cooling system, OMC Cobra 1989 - need part name

Same thing happened to me recently with my 1987 OMC 4.3 outdrive.<br /><br />The item is am "oil cooler" OMC part # 983849.<br /><br />I got mine from BoatUS, about $70.<br /><br />Several companies make these, you need to give them the dimensions of yours when you order.

Status
Not open for further replies.