Leak from outdrive?

Sebago2012

Cadet
Re: Leak from outdrive?

Wasn't to clear on the bleeding out part of the AF part but I just wanna bleed enough to ensure AF has made it thru the system.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ok so I live in Maine ... winter can start in fall so I've chooses to use my funds first to get what's needed to winterize the engine.

So far I've took out the brass petcock drain plugs(4) and drained all raw water then used some wire to fish around the holes and remove any crud then used my air compressor and blew all 4 holes. Cleaned all 4 petcocks with a rag checked threads. And set them aside. Now the boat has been sitting level so the engine can drain for a week and a half now.

My next steps im gonna drain all water pump hoses and thermostat housing as im just gonna put a new thermo kit in. Prior to installing new thermo kit im gonna pour marine -50 AF in the hoses and block and of course petcocks installed on engine block and open them and hope till I AF to bleed out. Once new thermo kit is installed im gonna jug feed antifreeze thru muffs on O/D and fog carburator. Then hope engine oil is warmed up remove oil replace filter. Replace the fuel water seperatorthen filter.Then drain O/D gear oil then commence with removal of O/D to replace full water pump kit. Full bellows kit and gimbals bearing.

Please interject any advice or pointers. I know I got off topic with the winterize procedure but being the outdrive needs repaired I wanna secure the engine first and don't wanna have to worry or backtrack in absence of jumping to far ahead.

Ayuh,... Skip all the antifreeze thing,.... Air don't freeze....

KC DREW

Banned

So is anyone knows where to get good prices on parts for a alpha one mercruiser it be greatly appreciated

Just buy them used on ebay or other sites. You can spend a fortune new or spend next to nothing used. New parts on Iboats are rediculously priced. Nearly every little piece of your motor and drive can be found used in good condition. Spend one hour looking and see how much money you save.

KC DREW

Banned

I get my manuals online here:
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

You can easily search for what you need, and print the pages off as you need them. No need to have the hard copy or even one on your computer..it is in the "cloud"!:D
Don may have a link to the downloadable version of your manuals....

Buy your own hard copy manual. The print outs from this site are meant to confuse if you ask me.

Sebago2012

Cadet

The motor is fine im just replacing thermostat cuz its cheap and rather do it now then spring. As far as bellows kit which includes gaskets, all three bellows, water intake hose and gimbals bearing for $80 its sierra marine brand. 38$ for full water pump upper lower housing gaskets n impeller. New parts and seems reasonable priced to me.