Leak fix advice

pnwrecon

Recruit
I have a relatively new inflatable Aleko 12.5 boat. I noticed it has a slow leak where multiple layers overlap. How should I fix this? I have stabond. Do I need to tear apart the layers or can I mix some stabond up and inject it into the layers?

Attachments

• 9DA2B634-4564-4F6B-90B0-458A6924FCD5.jpeg
    9DA2B634-4564-4F6B-90B0-458A6924FCD5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 9FD7AA1E-230D-4CB8-94FB-91222ABCB2ED.jpeg
    9FD7AA1E-230D-4CB8-94FB-91222ABCB2ED.jpeg
    885 KB · Views: 5
  • 81C6A07F-2FD0-44DE-84BD-F80925D19416.jpeg
    81C6A07F-2FD0-44DE-84BD-F80925D19416.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 5

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
That’s a good question. Is it still under warranty? If so contact the company. Either way their techs should be able to advise you with the correct repair if it isn’t covered under warranty.

pnwrecon

Recruit
That’s a good question. Is it still under warranty? If so contact the company. Either way their techs should be able to advise you with the correct repair if it isn’t covered under warranty.
Too late. haha. I decided to wing it. I mixed up some sta-bond, sucked it up into a hypodermic needle slid it all the way in along the seam and then injected it as i pulled it out. Hopefully it works. I let it sit for 30hrs in my shop and pumped it up with air last night. I will see if its still holding when i get off work.
thanks,

Chief Petty Officer
Ideally it's best clean with MEK or Acetone. Then inject. Wait a few minutes. Inject again. Wait another few minutes. Then press with a tool as hard as you can until you get tired ( to remove air bubbles) . Then let it cure for at least a few days before inflating. The cure time on the bottle is rated for ideal conditions , typically very low humidity and very warm temperatures.

Such a shame a brand new boat is literally leaking at the seams.

pnwrecon

Recruit
Ideally it's best clean with MEK or Acetone. Then inject. Wait a few minutes. Inject again. Wait another few minutes. Then press with a tool as hard as you can until you get tired ( to remove air bubbles) . Then let it cure for at least a few days before inflating. The cure time on the bottle is rated for ideal conditions , typically very low humidity and very warm temperatures.

Such a shame a brand new boat is literally leaking at the seams.
Well ****. Too late I didn’t do all that. There’s no way I could have got any cleaner up there anyhow unless I injected it but I was worried that I’d be loosening more glue. I already had to work pretty hard to get the needle up there with the sta-bond. At least I had the boat in my heated shop. So I did one thing right. Ha. It’s been holding air for two days now so you think it’s worth deflating to let the glue cure more?