leak 64 Evinrude

I inherited this boat and it was used regularly. Put in water last year and noted water on floor and thought coming from rear.

As I was cleaning it today, I seen water dripping from under the boat near the front. I found what think is seam separation about 8" long and over inch wide.

What is best way to patch it. If have to go to repair marina about how much if anyone has had experience.

If this was just an old boat I would salvage the newer engine and get another. My dad bought this new in 64 so sort of grew up on it and want to restore it. But only to a point. I don't spending 1500 or so to do it.

I know will need a paint job and gel coat (unless that is same thing) in the winter. Live in Branson MO and hard to get in at this time of year and want to do a patch that will work for the summer at least

etracer68

Ensign
Re: leak 64 Evinrude

You said you, "inherited this boat". That doesnt tell us much. What kind of boat? Made of what? Can you add a picture? 8 inch by over an inch, is a LARGE leak.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and can help you with any problems involving a boat, motor and trailer. A picture or two would probably be the best way for the experts to help you fix your leak. The members in the Restoration & Rebuilding Forum can help you decide whether paint or gel coat is best for you and your bank account. Good luck with that great old boat!

leak 64 Evinrude

I posted this in the a wrong part of forum above.

Have 64 16" Evinrude Sport gull wing. I guess it is the first year Evinrude came out with this boat. I inherited it from my dad after he passed. I know could scrap it and put newer eniging on newer boat but want to restore it within reason. I know nothing of boats.

1) has a leak near about 2-3 ft from front of boat down the center where the 2 wings or gulls meet the center. This appears to be split or tear in the thing and about 6-8" in length and 1/2 or so wide. Looking for best way to fix it for this summer and then take it somewhere in the fall or winter for new paint job or gell coat or however make them shine again.

I can do the interior work of little fix ups About how much in your opinions does a new paint job cost on such a boat.

Reason for waiting is I live in Branson, MO and all the shops are tied up and almost impossible to get this type of work done now.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Welcome to Iboats Stan :) .

You should probably post some pics ( woodonglass did a great thread about how to do it ).

YD.

Here are the pic's as best I can do with little space and a telephone. If this isn't sufficient, I can see is I can get better ones.

I found the source of the problem. The rubber on the rollers of the trailer (original 64 Evinrude trailer) if off and when loading and unloading the boat to trailer it is running on the steel of the roller pin. Are those rubber tubes or whatever they are called specific to only type of trailer or generic where just need right length and get them most marine places or Walmart?

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 0

037.jpg034.jpg036.jpg033.jpg035.jpgHere are pictures as best as I can do them with limited space and telephone.

I found the source of the problem. One of the rollers on the trailer (original 64 Evinrude) has the rubber off of it. So when loading or unloading the boat, the bottom and where problem is rubs on the steel roller pin. I have no idea of what these are called in boat talk, but look like roller pins. Can these be found after market and marine stores, Walmart etc. and just need right legnth, or are they model specific?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

You should be able to find it right here in the iBoats store, they have a wide assortment of rollers for trailers, you need to measure the space for the roller and then just replace it, keel rollers are normally tapered from the outside edge to the middle, which will be a bit smaller in diameter. You will need to repair your keel, it looks pretty bad, there are many threads on here on the proper procedure to repair the keel. If you have a leak, you are probably going to have rot inside which means new stringers and floor. But rest assured, there is plenty of information and people on here that can help you through the process.

I have seen rollers at some Wally Worlds, but it is a pretty common item at both outdoors stores and marine stores.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Looks like a cold molded wooden boat from your pics.. are those Planks Im seeing ? Screw filled holes in the second pic looks like its a wooden boat..not fiberglass.

Is this boat Wood..or All Fiberglass ...

The answer will determine course of action.

YD.

Edit: after downloading the pics and looking closer at it..sure looks like wood to me.. replank time ?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a cold molded wooden boat from your pics.. are those Planks Im seeing ? Screw filled holes in the second pic looks like its a wooden boat..not fiberglass.

Is this boat Wood..or All Fiberglass ...

The answer will determine course of action.

YD.

Edit: after downloading the pics and looking closer at it..sure looks like wood to me.. replank time ?

I done a bit of research on this one (intresting looking boat), and from all I can find it's typical, fiberglass with wood structure.

Looks fiberglass to me with maybe wood frame. What are stringers? Yea this boat design called gull wing came out is 64. My dad bought it new, when I was about 16. He put a new Evinrude 115 on it in 76 and it works perfect. He then had it in the water every year until he passed in 05 and it pretty much sat for a couple of years, so had to buy tires and it is pretty faded.. I mind spending a couple of grand. I build guitars and the interior stuff like the side compartments, seat structures that have rotted I can build and going to make a wood dash for insturment stuff.

What should I be looking at price wise for a paint job or whatever it is called on boats. You can tell I know a lot about boats. I wade and flyfish but looking forward to this going again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I too, did some diggin on your boat....
I came up with these. You might like lookin at...
http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/gallery/sport1.html
http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/gallery/sweet.html
http://rides.webshots.com/album/577910766GlBMbd
http://books.google.com/books?id=_i...resnum=10&ved=0CFAQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

If you are handy, and it sounds like you are, you should be able to either paint or re-Gelcoat your boat with the help of the guys here on iBoats. Most of us do our own rehab. Paying someone to do it is NOT cost effective and besides... Look at all the fun you'd miss out on.;)

Post some pics of her, so we can see what she looks like.