Leaf Springs

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m going to replace some parts on my single axle Shoreland’r trailer. It appears that Shoreland’r used some uncommon leaf springs, one end has an eye the other is an open slipper style. I located the OEM part number and it pulled up the spring below.

Can I convert to a standard double eye leaf spring assuming I keep the leaf number and weight rating the same? Any issues with that? If I can, would I order the same 27” length ?

Attachments

• B82DA0F5-2F27-4DB1-9B57-22E71738D3CA.jpeg
    B82DA0F5-2F27-4DB1-9B57-22E71738D3CA.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 9

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With a torch and welder you out can change anything you want

However getting the springs you have is easy. They are simply one of the many styles of springs available

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Slipper springs are common. Have them on my Loadrite

Springs for your trailer are here

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have looked but no one has the “Shoreland’r” springs in-stock and finding a 27” length seems to be difficult. They don’t have to done right now it’s on my short list to get done.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Shoreland'r has springs in stock for their trailers

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m ordering parts to change out the leaf springs. It seems that Shoreland’r has switched to zinc plating on the u-bolts and associated hardware. I found the oem u-bolts and the listing describes them as “submersible”, they look like zinc plated to me.

Unless someone has a good reason to use the “submersible” u-bolts I’ll order a set of galvanized ones. The original ones are galvanized, I’m guessing they went to zinc plated hardware as a cost saving measure?

Also, any cons to putting in shackle bolts with grease fittings?

Attachments

• 6CDBB1D3-6647-4C5F-8D6E-22A5D03C85FF.jpeg
    6CDBB1D3-6647-4C5F-8D6E-22A5D03C85FF.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I can't think of any cons. I use the MorRyde ones on my travel trailer and the suspension has ZERO noise now. I grease mine once a year. If you don't think you will actually get out and grease them annually, then I might suggest not to do it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have that same style on mine very common style. I coat em with Evinrude triple guard grease when installing & spray with corrosion x 2 times a year keeps away the rust from salt water…

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It seems that Shoreland’r has switched to zinc plating on the u-bolts and associated hardware. I found the oem u-bolts and the listing describes them as “submersible”, they look like zinc plated to me.

Unless someone has a good reason to use the “submersible” u-bolts I’ll order a set of galvanized ones. The original ones are galvanized, I’m guessing they went to zinc plated hardware as a cost saving measure?
Zinc is zinc…. The only difference is the coating thickness. Unless you boat frequently and exclusively in saltwater it doesn’t matter either way from a longevity stand point.

Strength is a different animal
Locally, it’s illegal I leave a “sheen” on the water by any means.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've always greased my rollers and springs and never left a sheen. Now when that power steering actuator leaked and the bilge pump kicked on after it rained, that was a sheen. Fixed that one right away, was not a fun job but had to be done.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thought you had a Loadrite trailer?
Mine has aluminum wobble roller brackets and thermoplastic rollers. Nothing to grease.
Used to. On the loadrite trailer I also used to spray fuildfilm on the leaf springs.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I understand not wanting to leave any sheen and keeping the waterway as clean as possible. The marine grease I use on my outboard zerks is the same grease I use in my trailer wheel bearings. I have never noticed it to leave a sheen behind.

I just wasn’t sure if there was a specific reason why trailer manufacturers don’t use a wet bolt on the leaf spring shackles.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The marine grease I use on my outboard zerks is the same grease I use in my trailer wheel bearings. I have never noticed it to leave a sheen behind.
I know of no grease that claims to be water proof, only water resistant.
It’s doesn’t bleed a lot, but it does bleed if you look for it

I just wasn’t sure if there was a specific reason why trailer manufacturers don’t use a wet bolt on the leaf spring shackles.
From State EPA regulations…

20) "Discharge" means:
(a) The addition, introduction, leaking, spilling, or emitting of any pollutant to waters of this State; or (b) The placing of a pollutant in a location where the pollutant is likely to pollute.

A grease fitting on the Springs fall under paragraph (b)?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Because it costs them more money and would be actually worse if the owner of the trailer never greased them.

Same applies to travel trailers....most don't have them but a few higher end ones do.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I guess I need to stop greasing my propeller shafts too!
The Chesapeake Bay is an active commercial fishery, a national heritage site and the primary wintering grounds for water fowl on the East Coast.

Unless you like eating a little grease along with your oysters, crabs, shrimp and fish perhaps you should.

Antiquated practice anyhow. Have not greased a prop in years. If you feel the need, suggest any number of the food safe greases on the market.

Certainly no Greenie, but I’ve seen first hand the impact of human activity on the Bay over the past 50 years and it’s not pretty.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The Chesapeake Bay is an active commercial fishery, a national heritage site and the primary wintering grounds for water fowl on the East Coast.

Unless you like having a side order of grease along with your oysters, crabs, shrimp and fish perhaps you should.

Antiquated practice anyhow. Have not greased a prop in years. If you feel the need, suggest any number of the food safe greases on the market.

Certainly no Greenie, but I’ve seen first hand the impact of human activity on the Bay over the past 50 years and it’s not pretty.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
EPA regs? What a bunch of micromanaging hypocrites!!
Why? Well they legislated all kinds of expensive to meet standards for cars trucks & now boats greatly increasing costs and complexity; yet they did nothing about one of the biggest environmental problems in NY State, affecting the drinking water of everyone who lives here….the Navy/Grumman Plume this was known to be a problem as far back as the 70’s yet nothing was done until local governments and citizen led groups put pressure to bear. Yes Grumman was great for jobs & technical prestige but when they were bought by Northrop they took the jobs and left the pollution. Added to that are plumes caused by Republic Aviation, Hooker Chemical and Brookhaven National labs. While the Bethpage site is finally being remediated the much bigger Calverton site remains a problem. So for me to have any respect for them is very difficult.
Hypocrisy and neglect of the water supply for 2.8 million people! And you (EPA) stop me from adjusting small engine carbs and put cat converters on our inboards? Get your damn priorities right!
Everyone who lives here should have a reverse osmosis water filter. The drinking water here is about the worst in the state!

Last edited: