Leaf Spring Placement

kylemclean72

Recruit
Got a new axle for my trailer late in the fall but kept the same springs, got in installed but noticed the open end of my leaf springs looked a little off. Its an open eye leaf spring, so an eye on one end and a hook on the other. Any recommendations for how to adjust since the other end is a fixed bolt, or am I just overthinking this and its okay? Unfortunately couldn't find a better way to get some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those are C-Hook springs and it’s normal to for them to look like that with a load on them. With no weight on the trailer the C end will move inward. Weight makes the spring flex & get longer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I hate those types of springs. Was close to modifying my spring setup on my old trailer to shackles but sold it before I had a chance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The open end should be against the support when the trailer is unloaded. On my trailer with those springs, the spring supports moved around, as they were bolted with u-bolts held by friction. I thought the springs would expand past the bracket. I measured, drilled and bolted some angle iron to keep the spring supports apart, keeping the open end in the support when the trailer was empty.

kylemclean72

Recruit
The open end should be against the support when the trailer is unloaded. On my trailer with those springs, the spring supports moved around, as they were bolted with u-bolts held by friction. I thought the springs would expand past the bracket. I measured, drilled and bolted some angle iron to keep the spring supports apart, keeping the open end in the support when the trailer was empty.
Curious how you did this, was it just outside where it would expand to? I picture something that the spring would hit as it expands to stop it from going further? If that's what it is would that not damage it over time?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the pix again, it sort of looks like C hook springs are not the proper type of spring for those spring mounts because of how the fender mounts are bent (or appear to be) on both sides. Looks like when the spring fully compressed the C end bent that piece of steel which definitely should not be happening. Maybe it was supposed to come with shackles instead of the C hook spring!
I have those style springs on mine but I know for sure that was how it was supposed to be and never had that particular issue.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The angle iron acts to keep the leaf spring supports apart, so the hook end stays on the bolt. When the boat sat on the trailer, the spring's hook end was close to expanding (by flattening) past the bolt that holds it, partially from the weight of the boat which is normal, and partially from the rear spring support moving forward.

Probably the front support would have held it, but I was concerned about all the force of the trailer on just the front eye of the spring.

You can install them on multiple parts of the spring supports and they would be effective. I have not seen these commercially. I just cut some steel angle iron I had and drilled it to bolt onto the spring support bolts.