Leaders of the 20th Century

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
Let's build a list of those who really made a difference in the positive direction, ending stupidity and helping mankind over the past century...those who fought evil and made a difference. Here's my starters:<br />-Pope John-Paul II (in memory of his recent passing)<br />-Winston Churchill<br />-George Patton<br />-Martin Luther King Jr.<br />-Chester Nimitz<br />-Ronald Reagan

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leaders of the 20th Century

I have to scratch poor ronnie, the Iran contra thing murdered 100's and it was with his direction and approval. how about mother theresa and that Ghandi gal? or maybe Harry truman for firing a knuckle head general that came upwith a 250 nuke strike plan for north korea. or maybe jimmy carter for getting in and out without doing to much stupid, I mean about the only scandal he had was his bro and billy beer. maybe the late Admiral Arliegh Burke and his contributions to navel weaponery,specifically fixing dud torpedoes.<br /> there are many many to add to the list from all over the world. its rather sad that none come from any administrations since the late forties from the US. maybe Norman swarztkopf or Colin Powel before Colin turned into a puppey. we have had many good military leaders just not many that were elected.

Laddies

Banned

The men and women of the US military and their familys, Billy Mitchell, Enrico Fermi,Hyman Rickover,Paul Tibbits, Nasser, Margret Thacher,

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

One that comes to my mind is, Mikhail Gorbachev...

SoulWinner

Commander

Rodbolt,<br /><br />What the Repubs were doing in the 80's was to try to get Communists out, the ones Carter let in when he and the Democrats turned their backs on our allies down there, and the commies killed hundreds of thousands. I can get specific if you want.<br /><br />So I would say:<br /><br />Ronald Reagan<br />Ronaldus Maximus<br />Ron The Great<br />and Ronald Reagan<br /><br />Not necessarily in that order.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In addition to the above: <br />Nelson Mandela: Destroyed apartheid.<br />Douglas MacArthur: Father of modern Japan.<br />FD Roosevelt: Overcame the great depression.<br />Ho Chi Mhin: Freed Viet Nam of colonialism.<br />Mao Tse Dung: United China and freed her from feudalism.<br /><br />You needn't agree with their politics or methods to acknowledge that in the end they made a positive difference.<br /><br />I think John XXIV made a bigger difference than John Paul II. I would add him to my list.<br /><br />Tibbets, Patton and Nimitz had a job to do as part of a larger crusade and they did it very well, but they didn't change the world. MacArthur led Japan to 20th century capitalistic democracy. That changed the world.<br /><br />About Ronald Reagan: He won the cold war. Little else matters.<br /><br />Lenin, Stalin, Hitler and Hussein changed the world, but I can't find anything positive about those changes. No, not Il Duce, he was a pawn.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's a real sleeper...<br /><br />Kemal Ataturk, aka Mustafa Kemal.<br /><br />Of all the early twentieth century revolutionaries only his acheivements are still in place. Lenin...toast, Mao...discredited in his own country, Hitler...less said the better, Mussolini...his fascist movement ended up hanging dead in a town square.<br /><br />Ataturk inherited the remnants of the Ottoman Empire which was occupied at the time by Britain, France and Greece. He organized resistance to drive them out and established the modern state of Turkey. <br /><br />He did not stop there, though. He abolished the caliphate and made a secular, modern Moslem nation. He replaced Arabic script with a Roman alphabet and demanded modern western dress.<br /><br />In an Islamic state he gave women the right to vote, back in the '20s.<br /><br />He may yet prove to be a visionary for the rest of the Islamic world.<br /><br />Jinx

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

All of JB's list plus Mahatma Gandhi and Golda Mier.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I think John XXIV made a bigger difference than John Paul II. I would add him to my list.<br />
I think you may have gotten the name or number wrong on this one JB, we haven't had a John the 24th yet ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My bad. <br /><br />It must have been John XXIII. Whatever the number, the John who succeeded Pius XII.

mattttt25

Commander

concerning the pope, piece from an article i read.<br /><br />"An atheist's tribute to the good shepherd<br />I’m 60, a man who long ago stopped believing in God, the types of God fashioned by man, the type of God believed in by John Paul II. But, on this day of grief, April 3, 2005, I honor, in my own way the passing of this great man. Even an atheist must honor a man like John Paul II. This man, this pope, lived the ideals that he professed, the ideals of Christianity, and did so aggressively. No sitting in Rome for John Paul II. He traveled the world with relentlessness; he movingly kissed the soil of each new land arrived at. He reached out to the sick, the poor, the dispossessed. He lectured the rich and powerful. He was conservative in the finest sense of that word, even for me a liberal, for he loved sinners and forgave them even while setting, through his agenda, very strict standards. His conservatism never seemed ugly, punitive, unforgiving. What stunning leadership. He fought communism and I wonder if the full story of his leadership against that doctrine will ever be fully known? A son of Poland, perhaps her greatest, his life span had allowed him to see close up the evils of the 20th Century’s enslaving doctrines. He used that insight wisely and relentlessly. Across the globe, wherever he went, the faithful would gather to catch a glimpse of this man who spoke of a better world. And so, even non-believers like me mourn his passing. We join the ranks of those who will miss him. And we smile with appreciation knowing that stubborn and skeptical though we may be, John Paul viewed people like us with love, tolerance and above all faith. He,through the experience of his decades, knew that ultimately faith is so much stronger than doubt. He was and will remain the good shepherd. <br />—Peter Twomey, Marshfield, MA"

tylerin

Commander

Lets not forget Ed Cole "Father of the Small Block Chevy" :)

mattttt25

Commander

was also thinking about pamela anderson...<br /><br />yeah, tom edison and pam anderson. no doubt influenced millions.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What about my military background...<br />Schwarzkopf did a fine job during the first Gulf War. I guess I just liked his demonstrated control of the media.<br /><br />Bob

D

DJ

JB wrote:<br /><br />
FD Roosevelt: Overcame the great depression.<br />
Not IMHO, WWII ended the depression. FDR's role in "starting" WWII is questionable.<br /><br />He also started what we know today as: "The Welfare State".<br /><br /><br />
Mao Tse Dung: United China and freed her from feudalism.<br />
It's ended? Since when? How do we know? Still a "dark" country that we cannot see.<br /><br />
Lenin, Stalin, Hitler and Hussein changed the world, but I can't find anything positive about those changes. No, not Il Duce, he was a pawn. <br />
Agree. All were, "creeps". Stalin and Lenin were far more sinister than Hitler ever dreamed of being. Il Duce was "douped"-agreed. An idiot, true.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hehe, like that one JB: "Mao Tse Dung." Mao Tse Tsung led the communist revolution in China. Granted, his counter (Chang Kai Tshek(SP) was not any better. However, Mao's legacy continues today and is the biblical equation of Leninism in Asia. BTW, not kidding you too hard about the "Dung" typo (but it does sound jokingly appropriate), since I can't remember CKT's spelling correctly either.

Ralph 123

Captain

I think the millions that were killed and imprisoned during the Cultural Revolution would disagree with selecting Mao as one of the greatest people of the 20th century. More recently, I am sure the students in Tienanmen square would disagree that "feudalism" ended or that the totalitarianism they live under even today is preferable to the dynastic system they lived and flourished under for thousands and thousands of years.... If Mao qualifies then you have to add Stalin and Hitler - two fellow cult of personality dictators.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Admiral Hyman Rickover