Lead Paint in 1976

leonjust

Cadet
I'm new to boating and I was just gifted a 1976 Lowe. It looks to be solid but my wife is concerned about the paint being lead. I know lead paint was used back then but is it in the green aluminum boat paint? Thanks in advance!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
they make lead paint test kits, a lot of people use them when redoing old houses, I might want to test it to make sure. You do not want to make lead dust, it is toxic to the nervous system.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
they make lead paint test kits, a lot of people use them when redoing old houses, I might want to test it to make sure. You do not want to make lead dust, it is toxic to the nervous system.

Yeah, they sell those kits at ACE Hardware or many big box stores. Test you boat and gain some piece of mind.

leonjust

Cadet
I completely agree with you! I'll see about testing it. Thanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
These are what I have used. Really easy and almost impossible to screw up.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Good plan ....lead poisoning is nothing to fool around with especially if you have young children. It’s a well known neurotoxin to the developing brain & nervous system.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Lead based paints where in common use through 1978. The probability of your boat being painted with a lead paint (or anything else painted prior to 1978) are close to 100%

Having said that, lead has to be ingested or inhaled to cause issues. If the paint in good condition it posses no immediate threat. Problems come when the paint chips and the kids eat it or the surface is sanded in perpetration of a new coating and the debris is not adequately recovered and disposed of.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Just like in homes lead paint becomes an issue for kids when it’s ingested or inhaled typically from old painted windows and doors Where the paint wears and is chipped. As long as the paint isn’t flaking and your kids don’t eat it you’ll be fine.

leonjust

Cadet
These are what I have used. Really easy and almost impossible to screw up.

Thank you! We've bought some!

leonjust

Cadet
Good plan ....lead poisoning is nothing to fool around with especially if you have young children. It’s a well known neurotoxin to the developing brain & nervous system.
Agreed! I definitely don't want to play around. Thanks!

leonjust

Cadet
Lead based paints where in common use through 1978. The probability of your boat being painted with a lead paint (or anything else painted prior to 1978) are close to 100%

Having said that, lead has to be ingested or inhaled to cause issues. If the paint in good condition it posses no immediate threat. Problems come when the paint chips and the kids eat it or the surface is sanded in perpetration of a new coating and the debris is not adequately recovered and disposed of.
I appreciate this! It does make me feel better 😊

leonjust

Cadet
Just like in homes lead paint becomes an issue for kids when it’s ingested or inhaled typically from old painted windows and doors Where the paint wears and is chipped. As long as the paint isn’t flaking and your kids don’t eat it you’ll be fine.
Thank you! It does help me feel better and I'll definitely make sure none is eaten!