Lawn help...

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
My yard has unfortunately taken a back seat to some of my other projects I have kept myself busy with the past few years, and its now time to get it under control..My yard has alot of clovers, plus dandelions, and some small blue little flowers all over the place ,(If im not mistaken these blue flowers turn white into the summer months and the bees love them)..I purchased a bottle of Ortho Weed B gone last sunday and came home and sprayed my yard with it( the type you hook the bottle to the hose and go.. Well here it is 5 days later and nothing has died besides the dandelions, and those do not even look completely dead. I wish I could afford a commercial company to come work there magic, but its not in the budget..I looking for any insight on what I can put down (weather its the same product just not sprayed(read diluted) from a garden hose, or something i put in a broadcast or a drop spreader...I need to get the weeds gone to find all my thin spots and get new grass growing..
Thanks for any help.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Lawn help...

Scott turf builder plus2 (I think it is called) kills all broad leave vegetation.

Put on the grass with the drop spreader before your first breakfast beer and the bad stuff will die in a week or so.

Needs to be applied when there is morning dew on the lawn and no rain or watering for 2 days

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

A good thatching will do wonders to eliminate the soil compaction of dead grass and promote irrigation directly after that fertilize with a nitrogen lime additive and some seed and boom in a couple of weeks it will look better than ever.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

I was actually talked out of de-thatching the lawn until after the weeds are gone..My original plan was to rent a power thatcher, but the ortho vendor at lowes talked me into treating the weeds first because after I thatch and lay new seed I cant put down a weed killer for weeks after..Again this is not my forte for sure,just going by what was explained to me..Im wondering if the lawn is so clogged up without dethatching that the weed killler is not getting down to the roots?

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't de-thatch yet. I would go to a local feed or farm store and buy some 24D broadleaf and brush killer. That stuff is potent. It will get rid of all the broad leaf weeds in your yard. The spray will kill the whole plant, not just the leaves so dont worry about the spray not reaching the roots

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thatch IS roots, just roots growing on top of the ground because of under watering.
All you need to dethatch is a garden rake, really.
To get to the root of the problem, No pun intended, you need to get the water Deeper and the soil looser, and the roots will follow...
Stop rolling the lawn, and aerate it.
Also you really need to do all 5 steps of the fertilizer,
The first and last steps are what's called Pre-Emergent...which means it makes seeds unable to germinate...thus no dandys,..and that needs both since dandelions seed twice per year.