Launching/retrieving with FWD

airshot

Vice Admiral
Dont mash the gas pedal, once it starts to slip, it is harder to stop the slip. Easy on the gas, just enough to keep forward motion !!!! Slow and steady will work everytime!!! Towed with everything in my 70 plus years, never gad an issue with any, because I dont hot rod up the ramp!!

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
we had a boat launch/retrieval vehicle whose rear wheels slipped at times - a front-mount hitch solved that (easy to use at the ramp, didn't use the front hitch on the road)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I used to tow one of my older lighter boats with a little FWD Sedan DeVille. I never had a Problem with the Front End losing traction on the ramp, but the tongue weight wasn't more then 50-60 pounds. I did worry about the Transaxle, if it was strong enough for the extra 1700 lbs. I did trade it in for a Buick Roadmaster which was RWD and had the Factory Tow Option for 5000lbs

briangcc

Commander
I hate to state the obvious but.....

This died a quiet death back in April. It was just resurrected yesterday - almost 3 months later. OP hasn't been back. Think we can safely put this to rest no??

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
April was only 3 months ago, after 6 months, it becomes Old enough that only the OP can safely reactivate it

briangcc

Commander
Well I don't know about you but I certainly hope for his/her sake they haven't been stuck at the launch ramp all this time :)

harringtondav

Commander
I've been offline since April, so...
We trailered our 3000# rig weekly for two summers with a '95 Voyager 3.3 FWD. Plenty of power. But early on I tried a too-steep ramp and spun out. Fortunately the local FD was practicing with their rescue craft. A beefy firefighter laid about 100# on the fender over the slipping wheel, and I made it back to the top.
Next trip out I had a weight distributing hitch. I adjusted it so it would raise the receiver about 1" above normal. Never slipped again. Since then I've owned 4x4's and have a dusty weight distributing hitch in the garage.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well I don't know about you but I certainly hope for his/her sake they haven't been stuck at the launch ramp all this time :)
I've seen lines long enough that that might have been the case

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
April was only 3 months ago, after 6 months, it becomes Old enough that only the OP can safely reactivate it

For the sake of accuracy, the forum rules state “approximately 3 months”.

For this thread, that’s not a problem, though.