Launching/retrieving with FWD

undercover500

Seaman Apprentice
So, we have a 3000lb boat (2,600 dry with motor) with all gear and fuel, probably closer to 3,000. We have two vehicles, one is AWD and rated at 5000lbs and another that is FWD and rated at 3,500. Obviously, it would make more sense to take the more suited vehicle, however, sometimes that will not be possible. Is launching and retrieving with a FWD doable? We've done it with other boats, but nothing close to 3,000lbs before, maybe 2000.

Any tips? I know you can crawl up the ramp at an angle, give a push with the outboards, get someone to hook up a tow strap, which we have, put someone on the hood or in the passenger seat, don't winch the boat fully on the trailer or have someone sit in the boat at the back to reduce tongue weight and get a "running" start (no wheel spin, just gathering momentum while the boat is still mostly in the water).

We don't have super steep ramps here, no huge tide swings either (inland lakes, not on the coast), and if we are not towing with the more capable vehicle, we will always have at least one other car (that could help pull with a tow strap, if needed).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So, we have a 3000lb boat (2,600 dry with motor) with all gear and fuel, probably closer to 3,000. We have two vehicles, one is AWD and rated at 5000lbs and another that is FWD and rated at 3,500. Obviously, it would make more sense to take the more suited vehicle, however, sometimes that will not be possible. Is launching and retrieving with a FWD doable? We've done it with other boats, but nothing close to 3,000lbs before, maybe 2000.

Any tips? I know you can crawl up the ramp at an angle, give a push with the outboards, get someone to hook up a tow strap, which we have, put someone on the hood or in the passenger seat, don't winch the boat fully on the trailer or have someone sit in the boat at the back to reduce tongue weight and get a "running" start (no wheel spin, just gathering momentum while the boat is still mostly in the water).

We don't have super steep ramps here, no huge tide swings either (inland lakes, not on the coast), and if we are not towing with the more capable vehicle, we will always have at least one other car (that could help pull with a tow strap, if needed).
The tow capacity is your limitation.

As noted above, do it safely or not at all.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Did I miss something? You want to tow 3000# with a vehicle that can tow 3500#? That works in my opinion.

Now lets talk about sufficient traction on the ramp.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I personally launched a retrieved 3000 # boats with a full perimeter frame "land yacht" "car" with a big V8 and RWD. No Problem. The next FWD vehicle sucked.

Current AWD CUVs are the best ever. But they all have a capaity far exceeding the requirement.

You have the needed vehicle.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Given what you’ve said…and if the ramp isn’t wooden and slippery with low tides etc…you’ll be fine. Over here in Europe, we don’t have anything like the monster trucks seen in the US…we manage just fine with normal 2wd cars and boats like this and even slightly heavier.
If you have an automatic gearbox, often putting the drive in winter mode or 2nd gear (if available) helps loads. Even if she’s a manual box…2nd gear can help and feathering the clutch. That said…better that the wheels spin a little…that the clutch slips perhaps.
My 18ft v8 bowrider weighs about 4500 lbs or slightly more on her trailer…I can take her up a good slipway no probs with a Red 530dGT and a small Honda CRV (that is FWD only until the front wheels slip…but never have on a good slipway)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Did I miss something? You want to tow 3000# with a vehicle that can tow 3500#? That works in my opinion.

a 3000# boat on a 1200# trailer.

Reactions: KJM

briangcc

Commander

If you're doing any/all of this....1. You're a youtube star as someone somewhere got video and posted it and... 2. You need a more capable vehicle.

Use the AWD SUV and move on in life. Or upgrade your FWD to a newer AWD that has the tow capacity you need.

undercover500

Seaman Apprentice

The traction is what I'm worried about, not weight so much. However, I do see your point, if it's within the towing capacity it shouldn't unload the front drive wheels too much. The vehicle has new tires. We live in an area where it snows so a good set of tires is always kept on it, year round.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the ramp is paved and free of slippery stuff, you should be good. Sand/weeds/gravel on the ramp will make it a challenge.

Obviously, if she starts to slip, ease off on the gas a bit, but keep going. stopping in the middle is the worst thing you can do.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I really don't see why you asked that question here. :unsure:

The load is not over the vehicle limit.
You have access to another vehicle with a tow strap.
Since no body here knows anything about your boat ramp, answering is a crap shoot.

Have the other vehicle and tow strap ready and just try it! (y)

undercover500

Seaman Apprentice
I really don't see why you asked that question here. :unsure:

The load is not over the vehicle limit.
You have access to another vehicle with a tow strap.
Since no body here knows anything about your boat ramp, answering is a crap shoot.

Have the other vehicle and tow strap ready and just try it! (y)
I was mainly wondering if anyone had any experience retrieving with a FWD and if they had any tips beyond my ideas

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Here is my take after 66 years of towing with nearly every car, SUV & pickup. Living in Minnesota we deal with snotty boat ramps and slippery/icy roads so 4WD/AWD is the norm. However, the absolute worst vehicle for towing is a front wheel drive when traction becomes an issue. If front wheel drive is your only option then front tires with an aggressive tread may get the job done. Examine the ramp before launching to check for drop offs and other obstacles that would further complicate retrieval. Go easy on the throttle. Lastly, do not forget to set the parking brake "before" you place the tranny in PARK. Just do it. Then take the tranny out of park "before" you release the parking brake. This eliminates the bang of the tranny parking pawl. Failure to use the parking brake (or if it isn't working) the boat may drag the entire rig into the drink. This is especially important on a steep and wet ranp.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think its a legitimate question, especially since the vast majority of boats I see getting trailered are pulled by pickup trucks. I've been interested in reading what people have to say, especially comments like @QBhoy 's since towing practices outside of North America are so different.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Post #8 and Post #1 are in conflict.
No, hull weight is listed as 1600, the trailer itself is probably closer 700 since the motor itself weighs around 350lbs since the total, listed dry weight is around 2,700.
So, we have a 3000lb boat (2,600 dry with motor) with all gear and fuel, probably closer to 3,000.

you still do not have a trailer

you do not have a measured weight, so your 2700# and 3000# are close enough to 3000#

so if you have a tandem axle steel trailer, you are 1200# for the trailer.

undercover500

Seaman Apprentice
Post #8 and Post #1 are in conflict.

you still do not have a trailer

you do not have a measured weight, so your 2700# and 3000# are close enough to 3000#

so if you have a tandem axle steel trailer, you are 1200# for the trailer.
No they're not. By BOAT and ALL GEAR in my first post I meant dry with motor and trailer. I should have been more specific for the pedantic.
No, hull weight is listed as 1600, the trailer itself is probably closer 700 since the motor itself weighs around 350lbs since the total, listed dry weight is around 2,700.
So, we have a 3000lb boat (2,600 dry with motor) with all gear and fuel, probably closer to 3,000.

The weight is 3000 with trailer, with all gear and fuel. It's factored into the weight if they listed the hull weight and then the package weight, package meaning with motor and trailer, but dry. The weight of the boat would not be 4,200 pounds. Also, it's a single axle aluminum trailer.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Just try it and see.... Towing is 90% driver, 10% vehicle. I've towed WAY beyond the vehicle limits, and was safe the entire time, but... You need to be slow, methodical, and plan your moves 10 steps ahead. Unloading won't be an issue, but if you can't pull it out when loading, no big deal, just hook on with a tow strap and drag it out. It really is going to depend entirely on your ramp.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No they're not. By BOAT and ALL GEAR in my first post I meant dry with motor and trailer. I should have been more specific for the pedantic.

The weight is 3000 with trailer, with all gear and fuel. It's factored into the weight if they listed the hull weight and then the package weight, package meaning with motor and trailer, but dry. The weight of the boat would not be 4,200 pounds. Also, it's a single axle aluminum trailer.
What is the weight of the boat AND trailer AND all the gear? Dont guess. Get a weight slip from a local scale

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm late to the party, but fwiw, i used to tow boat/trailer (~3200 lbs) with a FWD Mazda Tribute (towing capacity 3500 lbs) with no issues whatsoever.