Launch questions.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tomorrow I plan to launch my boat (new to me) for the first time and I will have to do it alone. It's been 20+ years since I've launched a boat and I always had extra hands with me. I might not even leave the dock, but I need to get it in the water to see how it sits. I have a fear that the motor (short shaft) may not even be long enough for this boat. The kid I bought it from was very dishonest (from what I'm learning).

Besides the obvious, like putting in the plug, are there any tricks or things I should be aware of, from your experiences, for a solo launch of a boat, let alone a "new to me" boat. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If it makes a difference, it's a 66 Starcraft Explorer with a 59 evinrude "fat fifty".

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Launch questions.

First thing I'd do is back it down still securely attached to the trailer and make sure it's not flooding with water.
Pull it back up the ramp.
Attach some lines from the boat to the trailer where maybe it can just "float" on it's own a little but still with the winch attached but with some slack.
Hop in; try and start it up and see how that goes.
If successful, unhook and take it for a spin.

Mark

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a couple pics of the motor vs. boat heights. I'm worried about this. 2013-11-16 20.05.39.jpgwater line.jpg

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you Mark. I will definitely keep those tips in mind. I like the idea of lowering it in and then bringing it up for a check out. I think I need to pick up a little more dock line before I try this to make sure I have a way of controlling the boat from the dock also.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer

Hopefully you can go to a ramp that is not so crowded; and you can check out your rig at your pace. I will be doing the same thing probably in April when the weather gets decent again; still got some things I want to do to mine. Hope everything turns out GOOD! RF

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks RF. I hope it goes well also. I decided I need to do this before I spend any more $$$ on this motor. If it's not even going to work for this boat then I need to figure out a new plan. Luckily I have a boat ramp less than a mile away and it's free. Not too busy, but it's on the Sacramento river. I really wish it was on a lake, but the current isn't too bad near the ramp. Good luck to you too in April.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

It is difficult to tell from the pics for sure but it looks to be a little high. Some boats function fine 3" or so high although about 3/4" is suggested. You will know when you take a ride,,,, especially on turns! Good luck as you may be OK.

Here are a couple pics of the motor vs. boat heights. I'm worried about this. View attachment 217562View attachment 217563

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes the motor depth looks a bit short, but given the hull shape, I think it will run all right, but not optimally.

Since you will be on a river, head upstream when you leave the dock, so you can drift back to the dock should you have motor issues.

Make sure to have your lifejacket, a paddle, and an anchor.

Let us know how it all turns out.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thank you Mark. I will definitely keep those tips in mind. I like the idea of lowering it in and then bringing it up for a check out. I think I need to pick up a little more dock line before I try this to make sure I have a way of controlling the boat from the dock also.

You can use one LONG bow line that should be able to reach from the bow to the stern along with a few feet of extra slack. You loop it around the dock piling closest to your bow and then around the dock piling closest to your stern and then finally to one of your stern cleats. That will keep it from floating off perpendicular to the dock.

After making sure I have the plug in and the transom straps off, I back down the ramp with the safety chain off, the winch in neutral, and the bow line tied to an anchor point in the bed of my truck. Once it's floating I unclip the winch strap, untie the bow line from the truck and walk the line back the length of the boat to wrap it around two pilings as previously described. Once it's secured, I go park the truck.

Jump in the boat and get it running. Since I use a battery maintainer I know my battery is always fully charged. Back before I got the maintainer, I always made it a practice to crank the boat in my driveway on muffs before I towed it to the ramp. I would let it run on the muffs until the thermostat opened, then go to the boat ramp immediately. Since I don't do that any more, I leave the boat running but out of the way at the ramp for a few minutes until the thermostat opens. If I don't I have a problem with idle speed being too fast, which can be a problem when maneuvering around a dock.

I never let my line go until the engine has warmed up and I'm ready to actually leave. The key to getting away with occupying space for that long is to get your boat out of the way as soon as it's in the water. I walk mine down to the end of the dock and then around the corner so I'm not blocking the ramp.

One of the best things you can do as an out of practice boater is to hang out at the ramp one busy afternoon and watch how everybody else does it. You'll see what works and what doesn't.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I was unsure of my capabilities and or the integrity of my boat I would NEVER leave the trailer if there wasn't at least someone else around. A second person can make all the difference even if they just remain on the dock.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

If I was unsure of my capabilities and or the integrity of my boat I would NEVER leave the trailer if there wasn't at least someone else around. A second person can make all the difference even if they just remain on the dock.

This^^^
And I would go at a time when the people using the ramp wuld be minimal. Rushing at the launch with a new boat can lead to many problems you just don't need.

tpenfield

Staff member

Let us know how your launch goes . . . based on those pictures, it seems like you have a short shaft engine on a boat that needs a long shaft. Probably why it was for sale. . . :noidea:

You might find that once you advance the throttle, the prop will ventilate as the boat tries to gain speed.

Last edited:

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let us know how your launch goes . . . based on those pictures, it seems like you have a short shaft engine on a boat that needs a long shaft. Probably why it was for sale. . . :noidea:

You might find that once you advance the throttle, the prop will ventilate as the boat tries to gain speed.

That's my biggest fear. :-/

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it in the water and it didn't sink. That's a plus. I managed to launch it and retrieve it by myself and thank you too all of your comments and suggestions. I payed close attention to all of them and it helped. All the way down to going before hand and buying an anchor and anchor line just in case.

2013-11-17 15.41.40.jpg2013-11-17 15.41.50.jpg2013-11-17 15.57.37.jpg2013-11-17 16.13.25.jpg
In the third pic is the water line, at rest, with respect to the motor. Any thoughts? I'm still concerned about the length of the motor.

And my little car pulled it back out. I was a little concerned. FWD makes a big difference.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

It will sit a little lower in the water with you in it, but you are still going to have to test it out.

southkogs

Staff member

It will sit a little lower in the water with you in it, but you are still going to have to test it out.
Yeah, you're just gonna' need to run it. I had one that I ran with a shorter shaft for a while. It wasn't too bad for just putting around. Sometimes it would even get up on plane. It won't let you down completely … just may not perform at a high level.

… At least you spell your first name correctly. I have a hard time being surrounded by "c" guys everywhere ;)

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a short video of it running.

It ran smoother than I'd expected since the last run was in a bucket and very smoky and rough. Since that first run in the bucket I've installed a new fuel filter and bowl gasket, taken the low speed needle adjustment back to the starting point, changed the j8c plugs with new j6c plugs and gapped to .030. I also re-did the belt timing with the help of many of you on here. I also had found that there was only about 4 oz. of fluid in the gear case, so I emptied that and filled with new fluid and installed new plug gaskets. It didn't sound quite as bad in person as it did on the video. I think I was getting some echo out of the boat. Any ideas on how it sounds? I know I need to make carburetor adjustments still, but atleast I was able to see the cooling system work and water spit from the exhaust. That was a big plus to me.

Last edited:

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

So why didnt you run the motor?

Ohhh you did, lol

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Erik with a "K" is the only way. hehe. I don't necessarily need to go fast for now. I just want to get to where the fish are. I did pull it away from the dock and had a couple of issues. The lock that keeps the motor from flopping up in reverse didn't engage. That's easy. The other problem I had was that it kept popping out of forward. I'm really hoping it is just an adjustment. I adjusted the cable as far as I could and it was a little better, but not quite right. That's my next task is to find out about possible adjustments to the shift linkage. Keeping my fingers crossed.