Launch procedures 1989 bayliner capri 85hp force

jayseas

Cadet
New to boating and have picked up a 1989 bayliner Capri 1700 with a 85hp force outboard. The boat came with no auto tilt/trim. I was hoping someone here could explain the procedures for launching, in regards to when to lower the engine? If that makes sense?
Are you supposed to lower the engine into position before i back the boat into the water?
Or back the boat into the water and some how lower the engine? This seems like it would be very difficult to do. I guess I'm worried about hitting the skeg backing down the ramp.
Help please.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
We don't know where you boat

Best choice to bring along an avid boater

On your 34 year old boat, I would do all the maintenance that was neglected prior to splashing

Normally, motor up when launching and retrieving. Run blower for a few minutes prior to starting, then lower the motor. If the water is shallow, only lower to where the AV plate is submerged

Putt away from the dock. When you get to deeper water, lower the motor

If deep water, lower all the way down

For a holeshot, motor all the way down, mash the throttle and as the boat starts to comes up on plane, thumb on trim up, back off on throttle when you get to speed you want to run. Keep trimming up until the boat begins to porpoise, then trim down a notch

As you come back to shallow water make sure you are at idle speed, and trim up to where the AV plate is just submerged

Never pull up to the dock faster than you want to hit it

jayseas

Cadet
We don't know where you boat

Best choice to bring along an avid boater

On your 34 year old boat, I would do all the maintenance that was neglected prior to splashing

Normally, motor up when launching and retrieving. Run blower for a few minutes prior to starting, then lower the motor. If the water is shallow, only lower to where the AV plate is submerged

Putt away from the dock. When you get to deeper water, lower the motor

If deep water, lower all the way down

For a holeshot, motor all the way down, mash the throttle and as the boat starts to comes up on plane, thumb on trim up, back off on throttle when you get to speed you want to run. Keep trimming up until the boat begins to porpoise, then trim down a notch

As you come back to shallow water make sure you are at idle speed, and trim up to where the AV plate is just submerged

Never pull up to the dock faster than you want to hit it
Thank you for your time to respond, but i was asking a particular question about a boat that does not have auto tilt and trim. Its manual, and the procedure for lowering and raising the engine once in the water?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you for your time to respond, but i was asking a particular question about a boat that does not have auto tilt and trim. Its manual, and the procedure for lowering and raising the engine once in the water?
You mean you do not have POWER tilt-n-trim?

In that case, back boat in water, park truck, get in boat, grab motor, pull towards you and undo tilt latch. Lower motor

You will want a transom saver for trailering

jayseas

Cadet
You mean you do not have POWER tilt-n-trim?

In that case, back boat in water, park truck, get in boat, grab motor, pull towards you and undo tilt latch. Lower motor

You will want a transom saver for trailering
Thanks for that, what is a transom saver?